AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
i don't know if that's your video, but the assessment is deeply flawed. the person continually points out the 4 dark corners on the call of duty splash screen as a problem, but those 4 dark corners are coded into the game. when the video gets off of that screen and shows the actual gameplay notice that the 4 dark corners completely disappear.

as for the other issues, i understand it's difficult to judge from a youtube video, but that tv looks perfectly fine...

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Thinness comes at a price. All too often:

1) The thinner panels use smaller speakers and possibly omit the smallish subwoofer that is present in a thicker panel.

2) The edge-lit sets depend upon waveguide technology for even screen illumination. Most generally this works fine once the line has been tweeked to optimize all the critical production dimensions. But what does one do with all the earlier less-than-optimum panels that have obvious problems such as four dark corners? The temptation would be to ship them in the lower cost models based upon the same panel, while reserving the perfect panels for the high-end-models. (Note that the set in the video is AFTER the original whole unit swap and one panel replacement plus the logic board swap that caused the model number change - there is no dark corner problem because it was already fixed.)

3) Any time you swap a panel in the field, the risk is run of compromising the resilient gasket that goes between the panel and bezel, allowing a light leak.

4) Any time a panel is substituted from a different production run, it may be perfect and it may simply have different problems, such as the flashlighting and center illumination problems described here.

5) The 100Hz panel is the equivalent of our 120Hz US panels. One of the things this guy is complaining about is a free model upgrade.

6) Samsung has not exactly abandoned this guy. Four service calls and one whole unit swap is pretty good service, and they are still trying to please him. I have seen lots worse service from other venders. In fact I have experienced worse myself - I returned a Westinghouse 1080p monitor about a week before the web retailer's 90-day grace period expired, and got stuck with a $78 shipping charge, although my original purchase was refunded. I would have been delighted to meet a Westinghouse repairman but there were none at that time (2005). (The problem was audible noise from the power supply, although the set worked - it would have been an easy repair.)

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/16959272

A cautionary tale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmvU-Jz6dY

Hey I see our own resident forum supporter, Cleveland Plasma made a comment on the video. CP states the 2 panels are the same for either model but there is no explanations as to why his set now shows 200hz in the AMP processor. I can't say that I blame him for now wanting a new set with the heat and issue when the set is moved plus the unanswered question above as to the 200hz. I'd be dissapointed also.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/16959630

...Samsung has not exactly abandoned this guy. Four service calls and one whole unit swap is pretty good service, and they are still trying to please him. I have seen lots worse service from other venders...

Good customer service does not equal comparing yourselves with others!

Four service calls on a brand new $4000 TV (and overpriced at that) and telling the guy they'll give him a call back and neglecting to do so is poor customer service to say the least. If he had the set for months then it's a little different but the guy just bought the TV.

Now the issue with the crackling going on and the screen blanking out is likely the cause of the service tech and not Samsung. Samsung should be able to determine this and if needed they should work with the local company or engage a different local service department if need be.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Anyone that wants a uniform screen should get a plasma and avoid LCD. My 55B650 is pretty uniform but it's nothing like a plasma. It had banding too. Most of the time I don't notice it but it's pretty obvious if I play Tiger Woods or watch golf on TV. I didn't want to hassle trying another because I figured I'd just be swapping one problem for another one. You know when it's this common that there are some definite problems with LCD as a technology. Plasma isn't perfect either but it doesn't have these types of issues.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16967131

Anyone that wants a uniform screen should get a plasma and avoid LCD. My 55B650 is pretty uniform but it's nothing like a plasma. It had banding too. Most of the time I don't notice it but it's pretty obvious if I play Tiger Woods or watch golf on TV. I didn't want to hassle trying another because I figured I'd just be swapping one problem for another one. You know when it's this common that there are some definite problems with LCD as a technology. Plasma isn't perfect either but it doesn't have these types of issues.

If you had never been here on the AVS would have made these claims?

Having owned 2 Sharps which are great TV's, then I bought a third knowing all about banding from here. All I did was look for issues.

We become gun shy buying any technology just like I would never buy a plasma again from what I went through. We learn a positive or negative from or experiences.

But I think you bought a LCD knowing you were going to find something wrong with it. You should have stuck with plasma where your experience is positive. IMO

BTW: Think about why drug companies do testing with placebo's? We can learn to see it anyway we want too.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/16967457

Having owned 2 Sharps which are great TV's, then I bought a third knowing all about banding from here. All I did was look for issues.

We become gun shy buying any technology just like I would never buy a plasma again from what I went through. We learn a positive or negative from or experiences.

But I think you bought a LCD knowing you were going to find something wrong with it. You should have stuck with plasma where your experience is positive. IMO

BTW: Think about why drug companies do testing with placebo's? We can learn to see it anyway we want too.

Yea I would have noticed it.

I knew there was a possibility of clouding and flashlights because of AVS but I never heard of banding on the Samsungs. And honestly I never read any of those Sharp banding threads and I assumed they were referring to color banding. After a week or so I noticed the vertical bands on my TV and it's not noticeable most of the time but when I see it, it annoys me. All the LCD issues are similar to the SXRD. I had blue corners in dark areas and green in other areas. I was an early adopter on that one. It didn't break the deal but had their been other TVs that were in it's league at the time it would've been worth a look.

I can truthfully say after owning an LCD for a short time that LCD has more flaws than plasma. If a person watches in a bright environment half of LCDs flaws will be masked though.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16967942

Yea I would have noticed it.

I can truthfully say after owning an LCD for a short time that LCD has more flaws than plasma. If a person watches in a bright environment half of LCDs flaws will be masked though.

I knew how you where going to respond before you responded. Our minds are powerful! Thats why I said drug companies use placebo's in trial testings.

I have 3 LCD's and have no mura or banding. Not everybody experience these issues and I hope you're not lumping every LCD owner into these issues?

Thers no banding or uniformity issues with my Samsung.

I could have saved you time and told you to stick with plasma. It would have been like me buying a plasma and scrutinizing the ABL, or trying to get it bright enough. Get my point?

I can honestly say that these forums have an impact on us, we shouldn't go looking for things like dead pixels they will only bother you if you find them.

I also can say from my perspective that plasma or LCD theres no winner and both are equally flawed technologies.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/16968092

I knew how you where going to respond before you responded. Our minds are powerful! Thats why I said drug companies use placebo's in trial testings.

I have 3 LCD's and have no mura or banding. Not everybody experience these issues and I hope you're not lumping every LCD owner into these issues?

I could have saved you time and told you to stick with plasma. It would have been like me buying a plasma and scrutinizing the ABL, or trying to get it bright enough. Get my point?

I can honestly say that these forums have an impact on us, we shouldn't go looking for things like dead pixels they will only bother you if you find them.

I also can say from my perspective that plasma or LCD theres no winner and both are equally flawed technologies.

Yes I fully understand where you are coming from. I didn't go looking for the banding. The first few times I noticed it I thought it was in the source until I started seeing it more and then realized what it was. I've just read so many posts here regarding clouding, banding, color uniformity issues, and flashlighting on various LCDs that it just seems like there's a fair chance that you are going to have one of these flaws with one. And sure enough I ended up an issue that's not all that common on Samsungs. LOL

My only point was that for the pickiest people that don't want these types of issues that they should stick with a plasma as from my experience plasma doesn't typically have these types of QA issues. Yes, the Pioneers had blotches at first but those will go away (at least they did on mine). And no way am I saying plasma is perfect either.

BTW, the Samsung is definitely a nice TV and in some areas it's better than the Pioneer that I had and others it's not. In the end I came out $800 ahead and since I view movies on my front projection setup my demands out of a TV aren't quite as high as what it used to be. Despite the flaws with the Samsung I still think it's a very nice TV for the money. Especially if it's viewed in a room with natural lighting unlike mine.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/16959272

A cautionary tale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmvU-Jz6dY

My goodness.

What a sorry way to do a customer by samsung.

They should replace this poor guys TV immeidiatly.

This is very similar to the issues I had with my Sony and the post-sale repair practices during my extended warranty period.

My TV was took apart repeatedly, and they basically tried thier best to keep from replacing the set.

Their "authorized repair person" came and removed parts from the Tv over and over again and I went thru almost 3 months without a working TV before they finally agreed declared it unfixable.

Regardless of the lengthy inconvienience to you as a customer, they will do whatever it takes to avoid replacing the set.

What a nightmare it was.

And the funny thing was that to their "authorized repairman" , this was "buisness as usual" and he was not surprised at all the see a less than one year old Sony TV with all these issues

After that I decided not to buy a Sony/Samsung again due to my inability to go without a TV for months at a time and the off-chance that this could happen again...

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16968770

Yes I fully understand where you are coming from. I didn't go looking for the banding. The first few times I noticed it I thought it was in the source until I started seeing it more and then realized what it was. I've just read so many posts here regarding clouding, banding, color uniformity issues, and flashlighting on various LCDs that it just seems like there's a fair chance that you are going to have one of these flaws with one. And sure enough I ended up an issue that's not all that common on Samsungs. LOL

My only point was that for the pickiest people that don't want these types of issues that they should stick with a plasma as from my experience plasma doesn't typically have these types of QA issues. Yes, the Pioneers had blotches at first but those will go away (at least they did on mine). And no way am I saying plasma is perfect either.

BTW, the Samsung is definitely a nice TV and in some areas it's better than the Pioneer that I had and others it's not. In the end I came out $800 ahead and since I view movies on my front projection setup my demands out of a TV aren't quite as high as what it used to be. Despite the flaws with the Samsung I still think it's a very nice TV for the money. Especially if it's viewed in a room with natural lighting unlike mine.

BPmurr is the pickiest member I know and you and I don't come close to being pickey as him. He's had them all and said that the one he regretted he didn't keep was the Samsung 52a650. If you remember he's the one that started the DSE thread on Pio Elites? If theres a problem he will find it.

My only point was I can't own a plasma no matter what I'd pick it it apart. Just like some can't own a LCD. I'm sure you tried to be objective but your a plasma guy and its safe to stay that way and smart not to go down the returning road.

Are experiences dictate.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/16967457

So that is how you became addicted to LCD panels; They are your placebo to counteract the acute symptoms of your virulent case of Plasmaphobia.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/16969088

BPmurr is the pickiest member I know and you and I don't come close to being pickey as him. He's had them all and said that the one he regretted he didn't keep was the Samsung 52a650. If you remember he's the one that started the DSE thread on Pio Elites? If theres a problem he will find it.

My only point was I can't own a plasma no matter what I'd pick it it apart. Just like some can't own a LCD. I'm sure you tried to be objective but your a plasma guy and its safe to stay that way and smart not to go down the returning road.

Are experiences dictate.

Yeah I don't think we'd be as picky but I can say if he could live with an A750 then he can't be too picky about black levels. The B series is supposed to be a nice step forward in that regards and it does fine on some material but it is lacking somewhat in dark scenes. And if my TV were used for movies even the B series wouldn't cut it (and I doubt it would for anyone who's owned a Pioneer).

I think you might be surprised olddc. You have a bad taste in your mouth because of the Panasonic issues you had. Improvements have been made since.

I'm not as stuck on plasma as you probably think I am. If someone asked me if I'd recommend a plasma or an LCD to them I would tell them it depends on what your priorities are and what your viewing environment is like. If someone's priorites were in a brightened room a good LCD might be best for them. If lighting is moderate it would just depend on the person's priorities. If it's at night or in the evening I'd recommed a good plasma hands down. I also like the LCD much better for PC usage as well(ABL).

Plasmas biggest flaws IMO are the ABL and brightness limitations. LCDs biggest flaws are motion blur/ghosting (very noticeable in fast moving games), screen uniformity, and black levels(might be much better on local dimming sets but I haven't seen any in a darkened room yet).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greetings AVS Forum members,

I'm the guy in the video this post sprung up around...This has been going on for over a month now and i've stressed myself numb & lost a lot of sleep trying to resolve the problems (not to mention driving my poor wife nuts) and decided to record that video post for almost medicinal reasons...something about a problem shared, you know. While this series seems to be problematic, mine was a real peach and was severely worse off after the refered technician saw to my original complaint of dark corners, it's toast now and as Samsung seem to think this is acceptable I have taken it to a goverment watchdog over here in Australia for consumer affairs called the 'Department of Fair Trading'. They took it all quite seriously and have sent me details of some Resolutions Officer within Samsung that they have spoken to on the matter who I was told to contact. I made the call and this reso guy who immediately started with the "Sirs" "I can't apologise enough" "We are so sorry for your troubles" etc, etc, etc...to be honest, the last thing I expected. I did not really hold out any hope to progress any further than I already had with this company but it seems that while one lone little guy is nothing to worry about, a Goverment Watchdog for Consumer Affairs scared the **** out of somebody.

He proceeds to tell me that the set should never have had repairs attempted upon it when it was so new, that they should have outright replaced straight away...I agreed, more apologies, then a few more apologies. Then the crunch, "what are you going to do about it" I ask, "You name it" is the response, "What do you want... a brand new set...a total refund", I stopped him right there "a refund will be just fine thanks" He's asked me to give him till Thursday to sort out the details then to contact him if he hasn't come back to me...note that so far he has suggested that this should be OK, he's going to confirm on Thursday.

So it seems I've won my David & Goliath moment, & of course I'm happy but the fact of the matter is that if I didn't involve a big hitter to advocate for me I know they would still be telling me to **** off like so many other people whose posts I've been reading, so it's a bitter sweet lesson learnt...Now, what am I going to replace it with?

You lads got any suggestions for a nice 40 - 42"?

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/16968092

This is soo true. I personally own 4 plasmas and 4 lcd TV's . Everyone has its issues. From Hot power Hungry to super thin light U55B8000. I stopped looking for flaws and watching more tv. These new LED back lit tvs by Samsung are in a league of their own...

Back to watching tv..lol

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1B4ME /forum/post/17036930

That is a dumb video. I personally own 3 of these and they are Amazing Tvs'...

There's only one dumb thing in this post...and that's your response pal. Great for you if your set works fine, but this discussion was not about your experience. You might have actually opened your eyes and ears when sitting through the clip as to the white flashing screen, the grating noise eminating from the stand and the complete lack of customer service. If you think that complaining about such things in a 3 week old set are acceptable you need your head examined.

...IQ's are dropping rapidly in this thread

·
Registered
6,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer1969 /forum/post/17037473

Great for you if your set works fine, but this discussion was not about your experience. You might have actually opened your eyes and ears when sitting through the clip as to the white flashing screen, the grating noise eminating from the stand and the complete lack of customer service. If you think that complaining about such things in a 3 week old set are acceptable you need your head examined.

I know where your coming from. Like you said they should have replaced your TV and never got to the service part. Getting a TV into warranty work is very frustrating and will produce anger that you have. I've been there I know.

I've learned that you're better off not sharing experiences here and I also know you didn't start the thread. Members that own this TV and love it will respond that way.

More have good working TV's then not, probably by 99 to 1.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts