AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Samsung is going all-in when it comes to UHD TVs. The company just announced numerous new models that include both flat and curved screens.

-------

Today, Samsung debuted two new series of UHD TVs, each available in multiple sizes, plus an addition to the existing HU8550 series, for a total of six new TVs. Samsung significantly expanded its flat—as opposed to curved—UHD TV selection, adding four new models to its lineup. Additionally, the company introduced two new curved models.

The HU8550 series includes five models ranging from 50 inches to 85 inches. Notably, the 85-incher will cost $9999 at its debut. According to Samsung, the 85-inch model will be available late June for $9,999.99. The rest of the series is already available in various screen sizes, including 50” for $2,499.99, 55” for $2,999.99, 60” for $3,499, 65” for $3,999.99, and 75” for $5,999.99.

The HU7250 series adds two new curved-screen UHD TVs to Samsung's lineup. The company says they will be available this August with a 55” model priced at $2,199.99 and a 65” for $3,299.99.

The HU6950 series brings smaller sizes and lower prices to Samsung's UHD TV lineup. Three new flat screen models include a 40” model for $999.99, a 50” for $1,499.99, and a 55” for $1,999.99. Samsung says all three models will be available in late June 2014.

All of Samsung's new models share core features including UHD dimming, UHD Upscaling, online connectivity via Samsung's Smart Hub, and a Quad Screen Multi-link feature allowing consumers to divide a screen into four panels, each with its own content. The HU8550 series includes Precision Black local dimming, for deeper blacks and better contrast.

It's clear that Samsung is committed to UHD TV. What is interesting is the addition of eight new flat screen UHD TVs. With such a broad lineup of both curved and flat models for sale, the question of whether consumers prefer curved or flat screens will be answered soon enough. Also, the inclusion of a 85-inch premium UHD TV is for under ten grand is a good indication that the cost of entry into the world of UHD/4K is dropping, even when it comes to premium models.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great news for any 4K TV owner. The faster 4K TVs get adopted, the faster we'll get more 4K content.

Samsung has a hard drive you can buy with 4K movies for $300, and as of now it's pretty worthless. I really hope that as they expand their TV line, they will also expand their library of available movies and content. Seeing how hard they are pushing 4K TVs now gives me hope.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Is Samsung using edge-lit LEDs in these models, again ? And if so, haven't the execs at its TV Division been advised of the tremendous amount of interest Vizio has garnered recently with the press and consumers alike with the announcement that all its HDTV~UHDTV models will use FALD starting in 2014, even brazenly advertising the technology's benefits and the number of dimming zone for each model ?
Based on the review of the new 2014 Vizio 55" HDTV model done this month by Sound&Vision magazine - measured contrast ratio of 35.000:1 with minimum black level of 0.0008 fL, good screen uniformity for both white + black full frame images, good shadow detail and excellent video processing - and considering the onslaught of HDTV~UHDTV models Vizio has announced for 2014 i think Samsung, LG, Sony, Sharp, etc will be in for a nasty surprise...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Content

If I can add a twist to the old Wendy's commercial. "Where's the content?"

There is none but it does such an amazing job upscaling youdon't need content in either the form of media discs and a player or some othermethod of storage playing device. Hell you can just stream it. With bandwidthcaps the way they are you might be lucky enough to watch one, maybe two UHD moviesa month before your ISP charges you more for the extra data or drops you forgoing over your bandwidth too often. It makes total sense, make cars that cango over two hundred miles and hour but there are no paved roads, just rocks anddirt. LOL!!

·
Banned
853 Posts
If I can add a twist to the old Wendy's commercial. "Where's the content?"
With Samsung and other companies releasing large amounts of 4k TV's this year, I guarantee they have insider news that 4k content is just around the corner.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
No. But once HDMI 2.0 video cards come out, which will likely be by the end of this year, you'll have full RGB available at 4K.
most likely the screen can't do 4:4:4 at 4k at all. sony does this too.
and buying a new gpu for a interface worse than DP1.2 feels very very wrong.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
It'd be nice if they or any of these companies would actually release a product that doesn't have many glaring issues (here's looking at you clouding/uniformity problems) rather than 9234569234569235692345 more TVs that have minimal difference but I'm sure the exact same problems.

This industry stinks right now.:(

·
Registered
901 Posts
most likely the screen can't do 4:4:4 at 4k at all. sony does this too.
and buying a new gpu for a interface worse than DP1.2 feels very very wrong.
you're wrong.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

see section "What are the 4K formats supported by HDMI 2.0?"

The 8550 has an HDMI 2.0 port, and I reckon any 4K TV released in 2014 will also have HDMI 2.0. I think the sonys you are referring to are from last year, before HDMI 2.0 standard was finalized. I think they are even offering owners of those older sets the ability to do a board swap for a proper HDMI 2.0 port, but I don't know for sure.

Now 8-bit vs 10-bit is another story. Most UHD TVs are still 8-bit, which is pretty sad.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
The Samsung UHD TVs look awesome but I've read a lot of horror stories about their customer support. Basically you need to assume the TVs come with no warranty. It's like buying something used off eBay.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
you're wrong.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

see section "What are the 4K formats supported by HDMI 2.0?"

The 8550 has an HDMI 2.0 port, and I reckon any 4K TV released in 2014 will also have HDMI 2.0. I think the sonys you are referring to are from last year, before HDMI 2.0 standard was finalized. I think they are even offering owners of those older sets the ability to do a board swap for a proper HDMI 2.0 port, but I don't know for sure.
No, he's not wrong about the Sony sets. Even their 2014 "HDMI 2.0" models aren't the full 18Gbps spec so they're limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit if you want [email protected] Basically Sony is calling their HDMI 1.4 implementation HDMI 2.0.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts