AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this could be threatening for many of our project calibrators here but the concept looks like just the thing for me, and probably many of our AVS faithful.

I have always had the interest in learning projector calibration but have always backed off because it just looks too complicated and therefore too frustrating to tackle. I bought a Datacolor 5 Pro meter to do JVC's AutoCal on my RS540 but backed off when I read the instructions on how to execute. Some of us were born to be engineers and scientists and many of us were born to be everything else. I include myself in the latter category, but one with an inquiring mind.

So, I'm inquiring here with the full understanding that using a phone's camera may not be the most accurate meter, but it sure seems like it would be the easiest. And I suspect I wouldn't have to worry about it changing or time as I'm told my Spyder will, necessitating a meter re-calibration. With that in mind, I envision mounting my iPhone to my tripod, have it talk to my iPad or PC via wireless, and have the iPad or PC talk to the projector through a cable. The signal going through the cable would interface with the menu system to make the adjustments.

I suspect this is close to what today's CalMan and HCFR do but something tells me that with a little tweaking to the software much of the complexity could be eliminated. The end calibration will probably not be the same as an ISF one but it will be close. As one of the posters in the linked article says, "the end result may be slightly different but 97% of viewers wouldn't see the difference".

I look forward to thoughts on my viewpoint and hope that most of you can at least see the reasoning.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
TCL has for some time now had an app for some of their sets similar in goals to the Basic mode described in the article you linked to. You may want to look through the recent TCL owner threads over in the "LCD Flat Panel Displays" area to see what people have said about it. IIRC, results have been mixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts