AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, unsure if anyone is active around the plasma section any more but hoping I can get some help!

We recently had a storm that knocked out power to the neighborhood. TV was on standby at the time, we weren't home. Now the TV appears to have an issue with HDMI inputs from some sources:

An old DVD player gives "unsupported resolution"
A Newer BluRay player also gives unsupported resolution
The Tivo is like the other devices, unsupported resolution

Prior to the storm, all devices worked fine
All 3 devices currently work fine on a different TV
Changing HDMI cables makes no difference

A USB drive inserted directly into the TV plays jpegs just fine, screen looks great displaying pictures and also when the menu is up, so I know the screen works.

One could decide from all this that the HDMI input was no longer working, but here is the kicker - if I plug in my Nvidia Shield K1 Android tablet, which has an HDMI output - it works fine and I see a mirror of the tablet itself - picture looks great!

I have tried all sorts of resolution adjustments (480, 720, 1080, i and p, auto, etc.) on the Tivo and DVD players to no avail. I was headed down the path of the tablet outputting something unique that worked (I think 1080p), but nothing else at that setting did anything at all (I set them with the other TV, then moved the cable over).

Please help! What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi all, unsure if anyone is active around the plasma section any more but hoping I can get some help!

We recently had a storm that knocked out power to the neighborhood. TV was on standby at the time, we weren't home. Now the TV appears to have an issue with HDMI inputs from some sources:

A USB drive inserted directly into the TV plays jpegs just fine, screen looks great displaying pictures and also when the menu is up, so I know the screen works.

One could decide from all this that the HDMI input was no longer working, but here is the kicker - if I plug in my Nvidia Shield K1 Android tablet, which has an HDMI output - it works fine and I see a mirror of the tablet itself - picture looks great!

I have tried all sorts of resolution adjustments (480, 720, 1080, i and p, auto, etc.) on the Tivo and DVD players to no avail. I was headed down the path of the tablet outputting something unique that worked (I think 1080p), but nothing else at that setting did anything at all (I set them with the other TV, then moved the cable over).

This seems to be happening a lot with everyone's plasmas lately due to all of the thunderstorms. Huge thunderstorm happens and then the next day none of the HDMI inputs work. From what I've read all over the plasma forum people have had to replace their Main A Board with a new or used one. Then the problem was solved. It shouldn't be too much. I know on ShopJimmy my ZT60's Main A Board is around $170. Cheap and easy fix if you still love your plasma! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to read a little more about this. Dangit!

I posted the same question on the Anandtech forums and got a reply about spoofing the HDMI EDID info. Seems like an interesting idea as well.

Any chance you have a thought about the fact that the tablet seems to deliver a great image? I wonder if I can somehow capitalize on that information and somehow "make" the other devices do the same thing?

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I left the set off for about 48 hours with all cabling unplugged, no difference.

Tried the RGB inputs, they seem to work, which is nice. It's not a great solution but it may get me by for a while.

I got into the service menu but didn't know how to do anything but look around and confirm, I believe, that EDID was on and at the defaults.

Also confirmed with Samsung (though it was a low level tech) I can't update the firmware with a copy of itself. I tried poking at it w/ Notepad, Winzip and Daemon tools but no luck. Was hoping to give it a new revision or something to see if I could trick it into overwriting itself. Nothing in the service menu jumped out as a way to over-ride that.

Tried all my sources and cables again, just to be sure, and noted that the Blu-Ray player worked intermittently. It'd show the menu (with a very sparkly background) on occasion. Mostly it would change between gray static, then pink lines, then nothing, and cycle among those 3 things but occasionally the DVD menu would make an appearance. I noted that when it did, the TV would say 1080p and the rest of the time would just say unsupported. Hard setting the player to 1080p made no difference.

Still have no idea why the tablet seems to work through HDMI. Stronger? I've been unsuccessful at trying to do something with that fact.

I'm about to buy a board form ebay that contains the HDMI inputs, hopefully swapping that will do it. Seems per the AVS forum here to have worked for a few people.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I left the set off for about 48 hours with all cabling unplugged, no difference.

Tried the RGB inputs, they seem to work, which is nice. It's not a great solution but it may get me by for a while.

I got into the service menu but didn't know how to do anything but look around and confirm, I believe, that EDID was on and at the defaults.

Also confirmed with Samsung (though it was a low level tech) I can't update the firmware with a copy of itself. I tried poking at it w/ Notepad, Winzip and Daemon tools but no luck. Was hoping to give it a new revision or something to see if I could trick it into overwriting itself. Nothing in the service menu jumped out as a way to over-ride that.

Tried all my sources and cables again, just to be sure, and noted that the Blu-Ray player worked intermittently. It'd show the menu (with a very sparkly background) on occasion. Mostly it would change between gray static, then pink lines, then nothing, and cycle among those 3 things but occasionally the DVD menu would make an appearance. I noted that when it did, the TV would say 1080p and the rest of the time would just say unsupported. Hard setting the player to 1080p made no difference.

Still have no idea why the tablet seems to work through HDMI. Stronger? I've been unsuccessful at trying to do something with that fact.

I'm about to buy a board form ebay that contains the HDMI inputs, hopefully swapping that will do it. Seems per the AVS forum here to have worked for a few people.
I hear ya on all this! Man you got a lot of things going on here. Only solution that I think is going to help is swapping out the Main A Board which the HDMI ports are apart of. That should fix everything for sure and then the TV should be able to talk to the other devices.

Reactions: *grelvis*

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a used board from ebay, the one which had the HDMI and other inputs on it, and swapped it into my set. Pretty simple job.

TV is fixed!

FYI for anyone else that stumbles across this thread with the same issue.

Thank you Superman23 for the suggestion! I may have gotten there eventually but you got me headed down that path much more quickly and it worked.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sweet!!!!! So happy that swapping out the Main A Board worked! I kind of had a good hunch that was the issue because the same thing happened to a few of us ZT60 owners. Such good news that you're able to keep your beautiful plasma for a few more years!

·
Registered
98 Posts

A recent storm and I have issues with my Samsung PN51F5300. At first the TV would not power on. Then I noticed when I removed the HDMI 1 port the TV standby (red light) would start blinking and the TV would then display a no HDMI 1 input source message. Weird...eventually I got the TV to work but the screen is snowy and the picture cut's out every few seconds. Funny thing is when I turn off any input source and just use the menu screens of the tv the picture is not snowy...maybe I need that same A board with the HDMI's attached.

I was going to look at this as an opportunity to get a new TV, but I feel like the price points are better towards black friday and...I'm not quite ready yet. Anyway, thanks for the input on this thread. I'll let you guys know what I find as I'll attempt to fix this myself!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ordered a used board from ebay, the one which had the HDMI and other inputs on it, and swapped it into my set. Pretty simple job.

TV is fixed!

FYI for anyone else that stumbles across this thread with the same issue.

Thank you Superman23 for the suggestion! I may have gotten there eventually but you got me headed down that path much more quickly and it worked.
grelvis, do you mind sharing who you got our used board from on ebay?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
grelvis, do you mind sharing who you got our used board from on ebay?

Thanks,
Alex
ShopJimmy.com has a bunch of Main A Boards too so you might want to check out that sight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Auction title was "Samsung PN60F5300 BN94-07278B Main Board BN41-02109A"

Seller was "tim1984"
Does it matter that my TV is a 51" and I find a board from a 60"? I guess I would have to pull the panel off the back to verify which I will do tonight.

Thanks again for the responses!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't say for sure. my feeling, as a guy who's been around a lot of manufacturing processes, is that it is highly likely to be the same, it'd be silly to have more parts than needed across multiple TV sets, especially given what this board appears to do, but you never know.

Be vert careful doing the work - the work itself is easy, but be careful how you handle the TV. I spread out a blanket on the family room floor and laid the TV down on it (with help). I noticed a few days after getting it fixed and back up on the wall that there is an area on the left edge that is slightly darker than everything else around it. I don't think this board had anything to do with that, maybe the TV didn't like being laid flat (I know that they ship vertically), or it got gripped too hard or something when it was taken off or put back onto the wall. If I did it again I'd be extra careful with the dis / re-mounting, and probably lean the set against something while I worked on it instead of laying it flat. FYI!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I can't say for sure. my feeling, as a guy who's been around a lot of manufacturing processes, is that it is highly likely to be the same, it'd be silly to have more parts than needed across multiple TV sets, especially given what this board appears to do, but you never know.

Be vert careful doing the work - the work itself is easy, but be careful how you handle the TV. I spread out a blanket on the family room floor and laid the TV down on it (with help). I noticed a few days after getting it fixed and back up on the wall that there is an area on the left edge that is slightly darker than everything else around it. I don't think this board had anything to do with that, maybe the TV didn't like being laid flat (I know that they ship vertically), or it got gripped too hard or something when it was taken off or put back onto the wall. If I did it again I'd be extra careful with the dis / re-mounting, and probably lean the set against something while I worked on it instead of laying it flat. FYI!
Is it the actual plasma display corner that is darker or is it just the cosmetic border?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the display itself. Far left side against the border. Semicircle about 8" high extending out 2-3". Right at halfway up. Speaking in photography terms, it's about a half step darker than the rest of the screen.

I'll have to verify, but I'm pretty sure I see it when I first turn on the set and it is showing the Samsung logo, so I don't believe it's the new board.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It's the display itself. Far left side against the border. Semicircle about 8" high extending out 2-3". Right at halfway up. Speaking in photography terms, it's about a half step darker than the rest of the screen.

I'll have to verify, but I'm pretty sure I see it when I first turn on the set and it is showing the Samsung logo, so I don't believe it's the new board.
Oh man well that sucks! :( I wonder if it was caused from the storm and you just now noticed? Either way that's a bummer. Hopefully it's not too noticeable and you can get past it.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I opened up the tv and my board looks the same as the one I see for sale on eBay for the 60", but my part number is BN94-06195F which is different. So far I can't find that part number for sale, ShopJimmy has this item out of stock. I'll keep looking though.:(

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't seem to find the part for my model TV. I've emailed PTS Electronics to see if I can send in my board so they can repair it.
PTS Electronics doesn't have my part or service my board, but today I did find my part on eBay and I ordered it today! Hopefully this solves this problem.

On a side note I had a Panasonic GT30 55" that stopped working due to the 7 blinking lights, which is why I picked up this Samsung. Well I gave it to a friend so he can fix, he never did and still had it. I see now that PTS repairs those boards so I'm in the process of fixing that as well.

If all goes well I will have both plasmas fixed! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Update

PTS Electronics doesn't have my part or service my board, but today I did find my part on eBay and I ordered it today! Hopefully this solves this problem.

On a side note I had a Panasonic GT30 55" that stopped working due to the 7 blinking lights, which is why I picked up this Samsung. Well I gave it to a friend so he can fix, he never did and still had it. I see now that PTS repairs those boards so I'm in the process of fixing that as well.

If all goes well I will have both plasmas fixed! Wish me luck!
Got the board today and got it installed and my TV is fixed! Big thanks to this forum. When I first turned on the TV I have some horizontal lines and I was like WTF, but I guess it took a few seconds to straighten itself out. So far I don't notice any issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts