AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi everyone!

I've been a high-definition geek for years now and I've recently joined the 3D Blu Ray club.

At Christmas I got the Samsung UE40F6100 3D TV. Although I'm a BD fan the jargon/terminology used when describing the picture quality isn't an area I'm familiar with so apologies if this description is poorly worded.

My problem's with the Blu Ray picture, something just isn't right. It isn't overly sharp or very HD-esque. It's difficult to pinpoint the problem because my viewing experiences are inconsistent. Skyfall, at times, features some wonderful, crisp shots in the opening sequence but when we cut to shots of London at night there's a great deal of noise. 2013's The Wolverine has the same issue.

Some recent BD's look great whereas others are slightly off.

I read a lot of BD reviews and the problems I have on my TV aren't mentioned in these reviews, which means it isn't a general problem with the film itself.

Night shots have a lot of noise, close ups do too. Smearing appears on occasion. Gravity looks terrible on my TV, it's plagued with noise. The scene with Bullock in the capsule on the radio looks terrible.

Here are my settings (suggestions from a website);

Picture Mode:                   Natural   (the website suggests Movie but the colours look drained)

Backlight                         16

Contrast                          96

Brightness                       47

Sharpness                       13

Colour                             50

Tint                                 G50/R50

Am I missing something? At a quick glance the picture looks great but as a videophile I'm convinced something's not right. My older 2D TV had a much better picture so I feel like this is a step down.

With films like Gravity available now it's a shame to be watching the best quality BD's on a TV that isn't calibrated properly.

Any ideas?

Conor

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I think I saw the same thing which I described in a review of the Samsung UN65FH6001:

When I got my first glance of the FH6001 at Cleveland AV, I wondered just how good it could get. While I had no doubt it could throw a bright, sharp 1080P image, the question would be if it could satisfy a real home theater enthusiast.

The FH6001 features a less glossy screen than many LED sets, slightly diffusing sharp reflections. It's picture quality changes dramatically off axis, which means if it is mounted at standing height it should be tilted down toward the viewer for best results. Brightness uniformity was very good with no issues to speak of, and blacks were commendably uniform.

Before calibration:

Of the FH6001's out of the box picture modes, Movie was the only one that did not annoy the snot out of me. It was bright, people didn't look like they suffered from chronic sunburns, and dark images didn't sink down into the black background. However, those dark images were not problem free. Shadows seemed boosted and exaggerated, giving the image a washed out look. In addition, I was distracted by what appeared to be an exaggeration of the digital compression artifacts on DirecTV and also what appeared to be contouring or layering of brightness. In comparison to the other picture modes, Movie appeared to have a slight greenish tinge, though I couldn't be sure that wasn't just an overreaction to the excessive blue and steely gray look of the other modes. There was a slightly etched quality to the picture, and colors leaned toward polite and unoffensive rather than vibrant and rich.

Calibration:

There is no CMS or 10 point adjustment in the FH6001's user menu, though the 2 point white balance and gamma selections give enough control for a basic calibration. The service menu's advanced section had CMS adjustments and other controls that could aid in getting a more thorough calibration, but the CMS adjustments were poorly implemented as they had progressively less impact on colors below 100% stimulus. In order to maximize color consistency, these controls were not used for the final calibration. Other service menu controls did do some good, however, improving skin tones and contrast.

As can be seen in the attached calibration report, blue and magenta color accuracy was less than ideal, though grayscale tracking and gamma were good. After calibration, the contrast ratio measured 5,680:1, which is excellent for a non dimming LED LCD.

After calibration:

The FH6001's color was pleasing, with natural looking skin tones. Image depth was moderate, showing an improvement from the out of the box settings, though the FH6001 is not the type of TV to elicit involuntary gasps or emotional proclamations of beauty. Why would that be, when it's doing so many things well for it's chosen technology?

The FH6001's shadow detail still exaggerated compression artifacts from less than pristine sources; and even with a great source, obvious layering and contouring in darker shades remained. These problems spoiled my enjoyment of the FH6001, and preclude any recommendation for serious enthusiasts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts