AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAMSUNG HERALDS NEW ERA OF ENTERTAINMENT; SHOWS WORLD’S FIRST MASS-MARKET BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER

AT CES

BD-P1000 will ship in early Spring; will become first player in U.S. stores

LAS VEGAS — January 5, 2006 — Samsung Electronics formally kicks off the era of Blu-ray today, as it demonstrates its BD-P1000 Blu-ray disc (BD) player here at CES. The new device will let consumers take full advantage of high-definition displays, playing content at native 720p or 1080i video resolutions. The player will ship in early Spring and shortly thereafter will become the first BD player from any manufacturer to be sold in the U.S. It is expected to retail for approximately $1,000.

The BD player includes a high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) output, an industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface on a single cable, allowing users to easily connect the Blu-ray player to their existing home televisions. It will also decode standard multi-channel audio.

“Samsung’s Blu-ray player will be the first available to consumers, and we will continue to innovate with our introduction of a Blu-ray recorder later this year,†said President Geesung Choi of Samsung Electronics’ Digital Media Business. “With today’s announcement and those to come, Samsung is demonstrating its leadership in driving the next generation optical format.â€

Samsung developed all components of the BD-P1000 internally. Samsung’s unique technology – one pickup with two lenses – allows it to also play standard DVDs and CDs in addition to Blu-ray discs while allowing for more cost-effective production. The supported DVD formats include DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R. Additional features of the BD-P1000 include memory card reader, full audio format support, pop-up and always-on menu options; a full color high-definition animated button; and improved bitmap and text subtitles.

The increased storage capacity of Blu-ray discs allows the Samsung BD player to offer an astounding 25 GB of content on a single-sided disc (50 GB per dual layer) - nearly six times the capacity of traditional DVDs and enough space for two hours of high-definition movies or recorded content (see chart below).

DVD vs. BD

DVD BD

Capacity Single Layer : 4.7 GB Dual L.: 8.5GB Single Layer : 25 GB Dual L. :50GB

Compression MPEG2 MPEG2/VC-1/H.264

Data Transfer Rate 10.08 Mbps 36 Mbps

Avg. Transfer Rate 3.5 Mbps 30 Mbps

Recording Time SD 2Hours(4.7GB) HD 2Hours(25GB)

Max. Resolution SD (720 x 480) HD (1920 x 1080)

Output 480p, 480i 720p, 1080i

The Blu-ray next-generation optical disc format was created by a group of the world’s top consumer electronics companies, including Samsung. This format was intended to meet intense consumer demand for playing and recording high-definition content, which far surpasses the video quality DVD can handle. With remarkable high quality video and crisp audio clarity, Blu-ray is unsurpassed in high-definition entertainment. Other applications including gaming and interactive media will take even greater advantage of the format.

Connectivity includes CVBS Output, S-Video Output, component output, HDMI and both digital and analog audio outputs. Supported audio formats include 192KHz LPCM, Dolby digital & Dolby Digital Plus, MPEG 2, DTS and MP3. BD-P1000 also has a memory card reader supporting Compact Flash, XD Picture card, Micro Drive, SD, MMC & RS-MMC, Memory stick and Memory stick duo (all TM).

The BD-P1000 is scheduled to ship to the U.S. in early Spring 2006, in tandem with the availability of the first pre-recorded Blu-ray titles. It is expected to retail for approximately $1,000.

About Samsung Electronics

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2004 parent company sales of US$55.2 billion and net income of US$10.3 billion. Employing approximately 113,600 people in over 90 offices in 48 countries, the company consists of five main business units: Digital Appliance Business, Digital Media Business, LCD Business, Semiconductor Business and Telecommunication Network Business. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones, and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com .

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Interesting!

So it begins……..

But I don't think I'd ever buy anything with *1000* in the model number again.

My attic has no more room for overpriced, feature starved, obsolete- *1000* series items :D :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Have you seen Toshiba and Thompson/RCAs answer to this? Very interesting. Crutchfield is taking pre-orders for the Toshiba as we speak at $499.00.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Nope. 1080i or 720p.

Hopefully some of them will upconvert, but then again that is the beauty of the Silicon Optix Realta HQV and the Gennum VXP stuff. They do it better, so the player doesn't have to.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
Hopefully some of them will upconvert, but then again that is the beauty of the Silicon Optix Realta HQV and the Gennum VXP stuff. They do it better, so the player doesn't have to.
Upconverting in the player is a mandatory requirement.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
kjack,

That is news to me. You are obviously in a position to know. I wonder why only a few of the press releases tout this feature? Seems odd they wouldn't at least mention that. Is it only BluRay players or are you saying the HD-DVD ones do this too? Am I correct in my assertion that the discs themselves will be 720p or 1080i, or have I gotten that one wrong, too? Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
kjack,

That is news to me. You are obviously in a position to know. I wonder why only a few of the press releases tout this feature? Seems odd they wouldn't at least mention that. Is it only BluRay players or are you saying the HD-DVD ones do this too? Am I correct in my assertion that the discs themselves will be 720p or 1080i, or have I gotten that one wrong, too? Thanks for the insight.
The movie on the disc can be 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p (with varying horizontal resolutions).

The HDMI output of the player can also be any of those, regardless what the movie resolution is, although some don't support 1080p output.

In reality, the player negotiates with the display via HDMI to determine what resolution to output.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
As I recall from polls here, no one, or at least very few people, will buy these ?? No one wants to get screwed if the "other" format ends up winning.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've changed my mind on which format to go with several times now. The Sony DRM mess pushed me back to HD-DVD and if the basic Blue-Ray player is $500 more than the base HD-DVD model that makes the choice much easier.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Recording Time SD 2Hours(4.7GB) HD 2Hours(25GB)
Whoa there. Is that saying that you will still only be able to get roughly 2 hours of SD recording on a Blu-ray disc? That the full 25GB will only be able to be utilized by HD recordings? That doesn't make much sense if so.

Don't get me wrong. If a buy a Blu-ray recorder, its primary use will be for HD recordings, but wasn't one of the benefits supposed to be all that extra space for SD recordings too?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpony
Whoa there. Is that saying that you will still only be able to get roughly 2 hours of SD recording on a Blu-ray disc? That the full 25GB will only be able to be utilized by HD recordings? That doesn't make much sense if so.

Don't get me wrong. If a buy a Blu-ray recorder, its primary use will be for HD recordings, but wasn't one of the benefits supposed to be all that extra space for SD recordings too?
No that's a comparison chart for DVD vs. Blu-ray. The line that says "Recording Time SD 2Hours(4.7GB) HD 2Hours(25GB)" means current DVD can record 2 hours of SD programming in a single-layer 4.7GB disc, while Blu-ray can record 2 hours of HD programming in a single-layer 25GB disc.

gandalf

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Samsunng may ship the first BD-DVD player, but Toshiba plans to ship a HD-DVD player in March, at half the price. I think I am going to sit this war out until the dust settles enough to claim one side the winner.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901
Samsunng may ship the first BD-DVD player, but Toshiba plans to ship a HD-DVD player in March, at half the price. I think I am going to sit this war out until the dust settles enough to claim one side the winner.
Amen Brother :) !

·
Registered
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter
The BD player includes a high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) output, an industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface on a single cable, allowing users to easily connect the Blu-ray player to their existing home televisions.
Not mine, I have no HDMI. No Sale.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.