AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought myself the HDV Basics blu-ray disc from Joe Kane and finally tried to get my plasma calibrated (I bought the Samsung in June).

Well, I can get black levels and contrast pretty good (although I can crank contrast way up and don't know what's too much "blooming"), but the COLOR section of his disc doesn't even address TINT.

Anyhow, I can get the blue looking pretty balanced through the filter, but red and green seem off. Apparently this model Samsung only has the 601 circuitry and not 709?

The disc mentioned many HD displays don't do this properly, but could it be user error?

A13

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

We don't look for blooming on digital displays when it comes to contrast.

The rules are:

No clipping

No Discoloration

No Eye Fatigue

I use the same set in my living room. Not perfect, but it calibrates nicely. If does have a triangle that is slightly bigger than 709 ... mostly. The XVYCC makes it even bigger.

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/15434673

Greetings

We don't look for blooming on digital displays when it comes to contrast.

The rules are:

No clipping

No Discoloration

No Eye Fatigue

I use the same set in my living room. Not perfect, but it calibrates nicely. If does have a triangle that is slightly bigger than 709 ... mostly. The XVYCC makes it even bigger.

Regards

Michael,

I guess I'm in over my head. What does "clipping" actually mean? I thought it was when the two sections of the chart merged into a nondescript white mush, which I figured was blooming.

In the meantime, does TINT even come into play in calibration, or am I going to be using the white balance offsets and that other menu the manual calls "My Color Control?" pink, green, blue, white

Also, what's maddening is even my blue-ray player (BD55) has a "black level" setting.

When I adjust pluge so the below black bar disappears, the other two bars are still highly visible. Kane says the 2% bar should be "just above" black vs. "noticeably above black." If I adjust my 5084 black level setting a click or two, the 2% drops down to where I imagine it should be. Should I use gamma to do this instead?

Why do these displays and players even have more than one black for god's sake?

Maybe I'll pay someone to dial it in for me.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

blooming is for CRT displays. The edges get soft ... and "bloom" ... get fuzzy and fat ...

Lower the gamma to make the difference between 2% and black closer.

Adjust the BD55 black level if it is crushing black. If not ... leave it alone.

Tint is used with blue filters. Where applicable. If it is blacked out ... then you can't do it.

The perfect color stuff should be left alone. At best you need test instruments ... and at worst, no one quite knows what it exactly does because it is not a CMS system and it is not a color decoder system either.

Tint control has nothing to do with white balance ... that is grayscale and you need instrumentation for that part or an idea of how to eye ball things.

Regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

They have multiple black type settings because not everyone has the same lighting in their room as you ... and different people have different priorities when it comes to watching TV.

It's called choice.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.