AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this set discontinued?

I see it's not on Samsung's US plasma site any longer and there are no replacement models of 63-inch or higher 1080p plasmas available...

Just curious!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, okay. Interesting. It was barely on the market a year.

Fortunately for me, since I bought mine over Christmas, it looks as if virtually all of the changes are cosmetic. And it costs more.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Samsung takes stylish flat-panel design to a whole new level with the PN63A650. This gorgeous plasma HDTV features their exclusive "Touch of Color" cabinet, which blends a hint of red into the bezel edges to create a "rose black" finish that exudes elegance.

Lifelike images with true-to-life colors

This set's picture quality speaks for itself, with "Full HD" 1080p resolution, exceptional contrast, and deep black levels. Samsung's advanced color processing creates natural-looking hues and skin tones, helping the PN63A650 deliver the accurate colors plasma displays are known for. Ultra FilterBright boosts contrast in brightly lit rooms, so images don't looked washed out during daytime viewing.

Read More

A crisp, clean HD picture both today and tomorrow

The PN63A650's dual tuners pull in both analog and digital over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required), so adding this TV to your system means you won't need to worry about the coming analog signal shutoff in 2009. And if you're a cable TV subscriber, you can use this set's "QAM" tuner to view unscrambled digital cable channels including local network HD channels in many areas.

A variety of connections give you plenty of viewing options

Each of the PN63A650's four HDMI inputs can handle 1080p signals, so this set is ideal for pairing with a Blu-ray player. Samsung's versatile Anynet+ HDMI connections take one-cable convenience a step further by enabling control of compatible HDMI-connected components using only the TV's remote. This is also one of Samsung's first Internet-enabled plasmas, with an Ethernet port for quick and easy access to stock quotes, weather, and brief news articles.

Learn about the ins and outs of HDMI connections at CrutchfieldAdvisor.com.

Shop our selection of HDMI cables.

Details:

63" widescreen HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio)

Touch of Color high-gloss "rose black" finish

built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)

built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)

1920 x 1080 pixels

30,000:1 contrast ratio (1,000,000:1 dynamic)

175°(H) x 175°(V) viewing angle

DNIe digital video processing

Natural True Color 18-bit color processing

Ultra FilterBright anti-glare filter

x.v.Color support

1-tuner picture-in-picture

built-in stereo speakers (15 watts x 2)

illuminated remote control

Anynet+ simplifies remote control for compatible Samsung components (HDMI-CEC)

7 A/V inputs, including:

1 composite video (side)

1 S-video (side)

2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)

4 HDMI v1.3 (3 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p

PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)

RF input for antenna/cable signals

Ethernet port with Infolink RSS feeds

optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital

side USB port for digital photo/MP3 playback

detachable swivel stand

wall-mountable (wall bracket not included)

60-3/8"W x 36-3/4"H x 4"D

weight: 150 lbs. with stand

extra long-life panel (100,000 hours)

warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service

Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh. Thanks for the specs.

As I said, it doesn't look that much different... Only it has VGA input and an RSS reader which, oddly, still uses ethernet intead of wireless. The lack of wireless irritated me plenty with my old HD-DVD player. It's 2008, gents.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoX /forum/post/14224319

Huh. Thanks for the specs.

As I said, it doesn't look that much different... Only it has VGA input and an RSS reader which, oddly, still uses ethernet intead of wireless. The lack of wireless irritated me plenty with my old HD-DVD player. It's 2008, gents.

Doubling the contrast ratio from 15K to 30K is the biggest change I see for the 63A650 and should increase both blacks and brightness. Also, I really don't see the new set being more expensive than the 6374 coming out of the gate with a suggested retail value of $5K, thats about 2500 less than the MSRP of the 6374 when it first came out.

I have actually seen that the 63A650 has trickled into a few shops already as they "claim" to have them "in stock". I haven't bothered to call to verify because with the names that claim to have them I would be concerned about the classic bait and switch scam with refurbed 6374's. When I see everyone getting them in, then I'll start to consider it on my list of possible purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts