Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

BULB LIFE

Having owned a couple DLP's by SAMSUNG, I can tell you my HLP-5063 has over 7000 Hrs on the lamp. Also, I have an HLR-6163, which doesn't compare in PQ to the older model, in that the pix is softer, and not quite as clear.

Also, the lack of 2 digital inputs stinks, since my input devices are both a SAMSUNG HD-DVD having DVI, and Set Top Box with HDMI respectively. The only way to view one or the other is to compromise quality and go analog.

The R series also came out of the box quite dark by preset, and only by changing almost every setting could I make it look somewhat okay. It seems to require adjustment for each separate broadcast too.

FYI: The entire set is quite complex, in that it is really a computer, not a TV...using LVDS (Low voltage Differential Signaling) for the data and contains practically no user serviceable parts. PC Board changes have become defacto. All signals are transmitted via LVDS, including the Texas Instrument Light Engine. Cooling of the DMD device is done by a small fan next to the DMD heat sink.It's very possible that a "P" line set might respond slowly to remote control or side switch inputs due to a design fluke in the Light Engine causing it to hog the data bus.

IMHO...The "P" line offers a better picture and more bang for the buck, if ya can find one. 2 Digital inputs (DVI,and HDMI), and a crisper picture.

The cable card trade-off should have been better negotiated.

PLEASE SAMSUNG...Put those digital connectors back where they belong!

All in all, either way, I've tried Toshiba DLP, JVC (D-iLA), Zenith LCD, and Samsung DLP in several flavors. SAMSUNG has no equal in color rendition. The browns are the smoothest, most wonderful I've ever seen in television broadcasting in 45 years. The brightness imaging of the entire raster is superb as well.

Good Luck, and by all means, buy SAMSUNG if you want pure, clean, color.

Regards,

Speedywebmaster

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Boy did you just open a can of worms...Look out here they come :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
So who do you think will be the first from our resident group of Samsung bashers to post their usual negative comments? ;)
I haven't got a clue ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm expecting a gazellion replies.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDYWEBMASTER
Hello All,

Having owned a couple DLP's by SMASUNG, I can tell you that presently my HLP-5063 has over 7000 Hrs on the lamp. Also, I have an HLR-6163, which doesn't compare in PQ to the older model, in that the pix is softer, and not quite as clear.

Also, the lack of 2 digital inputs stinks, since my input devices are both SAMSUNG having DVI, and HDMI respectively. The only way to view one or the other is to compromise quality and go analog.

The R series also came out of the box quite dark by preset, and only by changing almost every setting could I make it look somewhat okay. It seems to require adjustment for each separate broadcast too.

FYI: The entire set is quite complex, in that it is really a computer, not a TV...using LVDS (Low voltage Differential Signaling) for the data and contains practically no user serviceable parts. PC Board changes have become defacto. All signals are transmitted via LVDS, including the Texas Instrument Light Engine. Cooling of the DMD device is done by a small fan next to the DMD heat sink.It's very possible that a "P" line set might respond slowly to remote control or side switch inputs due to a design fluke in the Light Engine causing it to hog the data bus.

IMHO...The "P" line offers a better picture and more bang for the buck, if ya can find one. 2 Digital inputs (DVI,and HDMI), and a crisper picture.

The cable card trade-off should have been better negotiated.

PLEASE SAMSUNG...Put those digital connectors back where they belong!

All in all, either way, I've tried Toshiba DLP, JVC (D-iLA), Zenith LCD, and Samsung DLP in several flavors. SAMSUNG has no equal in color rendition. The browns are the smoothest, most wonderful I've ever seen in television broadcasting in 45 years. The brightness imaging of the entire raster is superb as well.

Good Luck, and by all means, buy SAMSUNG if you want pure, clean, color.

Regards,

Speedywebmaster
You are right on, dude! The PQ of these sets peaked with the Hd2+ chip.

Very nice Picture. All downhill since. Make sure you have your crash helmet on. All the Samsungites and sponsors will be on you like fries on rice!!

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
I think everyone agrees that the HD2+ chip is the best DLP chip. It has nothing to do with brand.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammiK
You are right on, dude! The PQ of these sets peaked with the Hd2+ chip. Very nice Picture. All downhill since. Make sure you have your crash helmet on. All the Samsungites and sponsors will be on you like fries on rice!!
I think everyone agrees that the HD2+ chip is the best DLP chip. It has nothing to do with brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.