AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Almost one in five televisions shipped during the third quarter of 2009 had a Samsung label on it. That's according to DisplaySearch, a market research company that tracks sales of TVs. As The Wall Street Journal noted on Wednesday, Samsung's 17.2 percent--and growing--share of the worldwide TV market is a big deal. No company has had a 20 percent share of televisions since TVs were first sold.

The speed with which Samsung has overtaken its competitors is fairly remarkable as well. Just four years ago, the company lagged behind Sony, who was then the king of the new flat-panel scene. Since passing Sony in sales, Samsung has doubled the number of TVs it ships every year. Samsung shipped 38 million TVs last year, according to DisplaySearch, and a goal for 2010 is to sell 45 million TVs.

Sony, meanwhile, has floundered in the market it once dominated. Its worldwide market share of flat-panel TVs is 5.9 percent, according to DisplaySearch. That's behind LG (14.8 percent), Panasonic (6.9 percent), and TCL Electronics/RCA/Thomson/Alcatel (6.6 percent).
Quote:
Samsung has been one of the major manufacturers pushing LCD technology with light-emitting diode, or LED, backlighting, as well as Web-connected sets, and focusing less on new display technologies such as organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, technology.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10454971-260.html

·
Registered
662 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the link!

I've got one (a Samsung LED set, that is), although it doesn't get most of the more advanced streaming content (it does get weather, news, stocks, and sports news, but I had to buy the wireless LinkStick for that). I'm very happy with it, though, and wouldn't hesitate to get another when I eventually have to replace it (which hopefully won't be anytime soon...it's only about 4 or 5 months old). Best feature IMO is how lightweight and thin it is! It's not even 2 inches thick. It's extraordinary.

On the other hand, if I were to get a second set for upstairs, I'd probably get one that does have streaming capabilities and/or Internet access on it...it would be hooked up to a desktop PC as well as being used as a TV, so that would be a big asset, I'd think...

DGK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts