AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an [older] HCL5515W that is currently having some convergence difficulties. I plan on getting the set completely calibrated very soon, but that will be following a move from our current place to another within the next month or so. clearly, calibration would not be the way to go under these circumstances. However, the convergence has gotten bad enough (likely worsened by my numerous failed attempts using the wholly crappy manual convergence menu) that I just cannot wait another day seeing blue and red shadowing on pretty much any white text. I've tinkered with the service code (mute-1-8-3) menu that drives thru the service grids, but am having a couple of issues due to some of the trial and error I'm having to do.

I've found that once in the convergence screen that I can press the number buttons on the remote and be presented with several different grids, some of which allow me to move the green, 1 or 2 the blue, never the red. Some of these grids are HORRIBLY out of whack with missed convergence of literally inches in the corners and wildly arched grid lines. When I move the gridlines around and achieve pretty good convergence, I am discovering that the settings that specify aren't being saved (i.e. if I go back to a particular grid, the settings are back where they were before I started). I'm sure this is due to something I'm missing in terms of a keypress, or possibly even due to the fact that I'm misinterpretting what I'm seeing.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the service codes specific to convergence for this TV? Does anyone know of a good (non-brand/model specific is fine) guide to performing service menu convergence on RPTVs? Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I believe that I've figured out most of the convergence menu

With TV on, Mute-1-8-3 gets the menu up

Recall turns Green off; 0 turns blue off

7, 8, 9 dedicate control to R, G, B tubes respectively

PIP CH+/- moves the entire screen up/down

numbers 1,2,3,4, and 6 change things, but I can't figure out what...

Lastly, and most fatally, I can't figure out how to save my configuration once I'm done perfecting the convergence. Does anyone have a clue on this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I would provide this information back to the public forum in case anyone else runs into these problems. HTH!
Quote:
I did manage to put all the key sequences together to make it all happen, happily. There are two key menus that will allow you to adjust the service-level settings of your Samsung set: convergence and the service menu.

Convergence

With the set on and "listening" on a given input (Component 1, 2, S-Video, etc.) press the following key sequence to activate service level convergence FOR THAT PARTICULAR INPUT:

Mute-1-8-3

This does not mean that you should press all the keys at the same time (ala Ctrl-Alt-Del), but, rather, that you enter the keys in sequence.

On your number pad, you have the following options:

7 - isolate RED CRT

8 - isolate GRN CRT

9 - isolate BLU CRT

To move a grid point in the horizontal plane (left/right), use the VOL+/VOL- keys; vertical plane (up/down), use CHAN+/CHAN-.

For what it's worth, I also identified a couple of keys that allowed me to isolate individual colors, masking GRN and BLU. These may not be the right buttons on your remote, so take them with a grain of salt:

RECALL - turn on/off BLU CRT

0 - turn on/off GRN CRT

Honestly, it's not unprobable that I've transposed the keys, but you'll find out when you push them what happens. ;) My process, which is not necessarily the correct one, was to turn off the BLU and GRN CRTs and align the RED CRT's geometry into a nearly perfect grid (feeling especially anal, I guess, I actually laid out a 4" x 4" grid using fishing line...). I then added GRN to the mix, aligning it to RED, removed GRN again and aligned BLU to RED. I then put all three CRTs on the screen and made adjustments as needed to perfect the alignment. Once complete, press the ADD/ERASE button on the remote to save your settings. S.INDEX will return you to the display so that you can preview your changes.

As I inferred before, this process will need to be repeated for every input. Also, I should point out that convergence perfection does not necessarily equate to geometric perfection. It's highly possible/probable that you will see distortions/displacements on the screen when viewing video feeds that will only be fixed through the service menus.

Service Menu

The service menu is actually a scary place for which I have virtually no documentation. I played with almost all of the settings, some of which did cool things, others that did next to nothing. I would proceed with trepidation here. Anyway, to get into the menu, execute the following key sequence with the TV OFF:

MUTE-1-8-2-PWR ON

To navigate here, use CHAN+/CHAN- to move between items, VOL+/VOL- to select/modify items. Most of the items in the GEOMETRIC menu are likely self-explanatory, and improve in clarity when you select them and begin to modify them. One of the items on the main menu is a RESET function. This will not restore Service Menu settings or any convergence work that you may have performed, but it will reset all of the normal user functions in the typical Menu, including any Contrast/Brightness/etc settings that you may have performed.

Good luck, man...

Quote:
carneyweb wrote on Today 10:12 AM:

Hello.

I've been searching all over the internet to find out the key sequences you discussed in this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ng+convergence

I used to have these written down (a cool service guy told me what they were, but my wife threw out the piece of paper!!!!).

Anyway, I was wondering if you ended up figuring anything else out, like how to save the configuration and make the actual adjustments.

Thanks for any info you can provide. You can send me email at:
[email protected] .

Thanks again.

- Mike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.