AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, my new Samsung HCN529W from Circuit City is looking less than stellar ( to say the least ). I purchased Digital Video Essentials and that helped slightly....however, it appears as though the CRT's are out of focus and that only adjustments within the service menu will help...

A technician for CC coming in two weeks to service the TV....though in the meantime, the picture is killing me...

I have a degree in Electrical and Computer engineering and have cracked open several PC CRT monitors to adjust the focus...I would say that I am very technically inclined, though I don't have access to the dedicated equipment a true ISF-certified technician would have...In addition, I sit here without any service menu for the TV...

Do I have any shot at getting this TV looking better on my own until the technician shows up to really polish things up?

Any suggestions at all? The image just looks blurry....the perfect focus auto-convergance seems to make things worse...and no manual adjustment can get it looking much better...

Thanks for taking the time to read this...I just recently stumbled across this forum and have foudn it VERY informative so far...great resource...

Have a good one guys...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help/input/suggestions would be very appreciated...

Not looking for a miracle...just a little guidance...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not sure if anybody owns one. If it's brand new, get it replaced. Get an LCD or a DLP. RPCRT will probably die out due to the newer technologies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to opt for a high-end DLP or even plasma....however, the $1499 sale price of this 52" RPTV ( $1999 total with service plan ) was too much to pass up...

Worst case scenario...any input from anyone on a good 47-52" set for under $2K?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, my new Samsung HCN529W from Circuit City is looking less than stellar ( to say the least ). I purchased Digital Video Essentials and that helped slightly....however, it appears as though the CRT's are out of focus and that only adjustments within the service menu will help...

Any suggestions at all? The image just looks blurry....the perfect focus auto-convergance seems to make things worse...and no manual adjustment can get it looking much better...

==========

I have a HCN5527W. I am not sure of the differences between our sets but.....

- I agree, the "Perfect Focus" sucks big time. If your set just fell off the back of a delivery truck after being frozen for a week .... then maybe the feature would help improve the convergence. ALSO, why the hell did they put a "Perfect Focus" button right on the remote? It's right next to the PIP button, so if you hit P.F. by mistake, it gets screwed up again!

- What happens to your set when you go through the menus to adjust the convergence? I can get mine to look pretty good if I spend the time to converge both colors on ALL the crosshairs. However, I have been moving my set around a lot (just got the Dish Network 811 HD receiver) and every time I move the set, it seems like I need to do another convergence.

Beyond that, there is a "Service Mode" you can get into. But, be careful!!

I have to pull out some notes at home on how to enter "Service Mode". You just have to type in some numbers in a special sequence on the remote.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the response!

I'm glad (somewhat I guess) to hear that I'm not crazy for thinking that the convergence on the set is a bit finicky...Happy to hear you've ironed the bugs out of yours...

As far as the manual convergence...I've gone through several times and even tried using DVE with no great success...I'm convinced that I need to get into the service menu to make the proper adjustments...

I do know how to get into the service menu...though I am clueless as to what the commands are since I cannot seem to find ( or purchase ) a service manual for this model. I've gone through every A/V forum I can find and searched for links to vendors selling them with no luck...Ebay even failed to provide any luck...

Do you happen to still have the notes on what the service menu commands are?

Feel free to email me if that makes things easier...

[email protected]

Thanks again...much appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You guys have me abit worried. I put the 529w on layaway after xmas and i hope to finish paying it off before the SuperBowl. Is this problem with ALL the sets or is an issue of your set just being defective? Any input from people who are happy with it would be real helpful. At least CC gives 30 days to decide. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CC does give us 30 days...though my 30 days is coming to an end next week...Since the technician can't come out until Monday, I am trying to make as much progress as possible to determine whether I need to be switching this TV with something else...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I give up...

Although I had high hopes, I now wait for Monday for some CC technician to make the adjustments...

:rolleyes:

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Exchange!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any input from anyone on a good 47-52" set for under $2K?

The $1499 price of this set....$1999 with 4yr service....tough to compete with...

Deperately looking for help.....reading as much as I can...

With CC carrying Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, and Hitachi I am given a few good choices...

Right now, I am considering the Hitachi 46W500 and 51F500A, Panny PT53WX53, and Sony KP53HS30 (though I think I like 16:9 too much to opt for this).

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
There are a lot of Hitachi fans here. I don't know if there are models that don't gain their approval though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the set is not performing properly when tech gets done take it back ASAP

you should not keep anything that irritates you when you hit the on button.

(And no you can't send back the kids , they won't fit anymore;) )

or cancel the tech and get a new one, Hitachi seems to be the favorite in here.

jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ncc38907
You guys have me abit worried. I put the 529w on layaway after xmas and i hope to finish paying it off before the SuperBowl. Is this problem with ALL the sets or is an issue of your set just being defective? Any input from people who are happy with it would be real helpful. At least CC gives 30 days to decide. Thanks Guys.

Even though I hate the Perfect Focus feature, I still do like my Samsung HCN5527W a lot. The best feature is the glare reduction. Everyone else's screens act like a mirror, the Sammy has a matte finish screen that really does a great job with all but the most sunny of windows.

The best media to play on my Samsung is a DVD on a progressive scan player via Component cables. Of course Ice Age and Monsters Inc are fabulous and really show off the color and definition capabilities of the set.

Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I've noticed after having the TV for 3 weeks now, is that the convergence seems to need adjusting almost every time the set is turned on...Is this normal for a TV to be doing after 3 weeks...(ie: still burning in?) or does it sound like I have a lemon?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cold,

Does fixing the convergence help with your problems? (for that day)

Or, is the problem more server, like an overall focus problems?

I found service menu codes and other good info at "fixyourowntv" dot com.

They have a nice explanation (and good pictures) of setting the focus for rear projection sets. You can buy some service manual information too, but I have never done that.

Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixing the convergene helps slightly, though the picture is still sub-par at best...

I'll give the tips on that site a shot and post my results...Thank you very much for the info!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I became impatient and started taking the TV apart...Although I only managed to gain access to the back of the system before the wife came down and begged me to wait for the technician on Monday...I did manage to adjust the optical focus of the three lenses with wing-nuts...

Definitely a step in the right direction...will play with the service menu tomorrow and see if we can take a few more steps forward...

;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...I managed to stumble across some luck here...

Yesterday, I was in CC and csually talking to a mgr about HDTV and such and he offered me a sale price (that I just missed) for a Samsung SIR-TS160 receiver. Although I already had DirecTV, he gave me the $199 sale price (and I didn't even have to send in a rebate!) Overall, I am very pleased with purchasing through CC...Hopefully, the set will be adjusted completely on Monday...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.