AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I Have a 42" Samsung Triple-gun CRT rear projection unit and the picture is all "3D" looking. Like the colors are not aligned at all. I'm new to TV repair but I'm pretty adapt at working on electronic devices if there is a way to fix this. I found this but I hope there is something I can do for it without dropping tons of cash (that I don't have
).

Any Samsung technicians in the house?

Thanks in advance, guys and gals!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Convergence failure. Pay $400 for service or diy for $50. See link in my signature-

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, hammerdwn! I really appreciate that info. I read some of the link and understand it so far. I'm going to try to crack open "the set" this weekend and see what I'm up against. I'd certainly love to fix it rather than pay out the nose.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All right, got some time to crack open "the set" this morning and am all geared up to order the IC chip. I found the chip right away but there's a problem:

It has a twin. Should I order one or both?

For giggles, here's a shot of the inside of the TV:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Yes, always replace both IC's. Also on your Tv you can actually get that whole board with new IC's sometimes not that much more than IC's alone. Way easy, no soldering! Check this link . Provide full model number and version from sticker on side of Tv.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hammerdwn, is it wrong to say, I love you?

I'm assuming that link is to order the whole board? If so, my model is there. I'll order that sucker today!

And because I like posting pitchers...

and the sticker on the toob:

Once again, Hammerdwn, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 /forum/post/17005134

Hammerdwn, is it wrong to say, I love you?

I'm assuming that link is to order the whole board? If so, my model is there. I'll order that sucker today!

I take donations

That link contains many part numbers. I can't say which one is a match for your model. You will need to do your research well and shop around to get the exact board (or proper substitute) for your model. Also verify the return policy.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I found it. I went here and found the part number and then looked it up and found it here but looks like there's a substitute part here .

Gonna order it now. Hope it's the right thing. Guess I'll know when it gets here. Ordering TV parts is hard work!

Thanks again, Hammerdwn. I'll dance at your next anniversary party.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, is there a general guide to manually converging a CRT RPTV? I know each model/brand is different, but if there is a general guide of steps or things to do for a convergence, that would be fabulous!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, the part arrived (quick!) and YAY!!!! It's the right part! I installed it and YAY!!!! that took care of it! Now I gotta figure out this service menu. So far, only thing I can get to is the grid and I've kinda figured out how to navigate it and make changes. I've improved the grid a bit already. I can tell this set needs a good optics cleaning because the blue is barely visible even when I turn off the other two guns. I have the contrast and brightness about 50% on both.

Any tips on optics cleaning? I'm guessing I should probably use eye-glass cleaning solution and cotton balls to clean the guns? I saw a thread on here that I should remove the outer optics and clean the back side of them too, then focus them mechanically, then to the grid. I'm guessing also that the mechanical focus is on the lenses themselves and not the little levers on the CRT tubes. The tubes look way complicated and I don't think I want to touch them.

Thanks again, Hammerdwn! Just gotta play with this thing and get a DVI cable that doesn't cost 35 friggin dollars and I'll have me a nice big ol' tube!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Order a cable from one of the sponsors of this Forum such a MonoPrice.com.

Since you have an analog technology CRT TV you may not get any benefit from switching from an analog interface such as component to a digital interface.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17032803

Order a cable from one of the sponsors of this Forum such a MonoPrice.com.

Since you have an analog technology CRT TV you may not get any benefit from switching from an analog interface such as component to a digital interface.

I ordered the DVI from a local Houston distributor of computer and electronic gear ( www.directron.com ). Nothing against the forum's sponsers, just forgot about them. Directron's never steered me wrong though.

I need the DVI cable because the only thing that will be connected to this TV is my Linux-based HTPC. My video card (NVidia 8400GS) has a DVI out, VGA out and S-Video TV out. I bought this TV because it has a DVI input in the hopes of getting the massive overscan problem associated with the NVidia card's TV output (S-Video) and the Linux drivers under control with a DVI connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts