AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on which one of these to buy. I am a complete newbie when it comes to all of this stuff. I am about to purchase some equipment and a new dvd player is one of them. The TV will be a Sony KV30HS420 30" widescreen HDTV Ready 1080i with hdmi. I will be using the hdmi cable for any selection. After reading threads on this forum I am lost when the discussion of "btb" or "black crush". I am just looking for a good dvd player that will satisfy the untrained eye.

I have another simple question. I am also purchasing an Onkyo 7.1 system that has component ins and out. For devices other than the hdmi for the dvd, will there be a loss in quality if I run the component from a device to the reciever then to the tv?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind about the second question. I just realized that that would mean I would have to buy double the component cables.

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
My answer is neither. The Sammy and the Tosh (I assume you mean the 5980) are pretty similar and both use a Zoran deinterlacer/scaler, which is pretty mediocre. The similarly-priced Faroudja players get much better reviews, such as the Oppo and the Panasonic S77. The new Denon 1920 is another consideration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is I'm need to get which ever one a best buy and those are the only 2 I see available except the lg.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I tried both of these units a while back and I would recommend the Samsung. At the time I had purchased a S97 but the macroblocking was horrible on my TV so I was looking for a replacement.

They were similar in terms of PQ, but I felt the Samsung was a little better (sorry I don't remember all the details, I just remember it looked better to me). I also had problems with the Toshiba shutting off randomly :confused: . I liked a lot of the features of the Samsung, but there were a couple of things that drove me nuts. One was the FF. IIRC it went 2X, 4X, 64X :eek: . Another was the fact that I couldn't have audio through the HDMI for simplicity for the wife and kids, and then also through the optical out to the receiver for me, without going into the setup and switching between Bitstream and PCM. There was also the well documented on these boards "HDMI audio not supported" message that could not be permanently disabled. On the upside I believe the Samsung can be easily modified to upconvert over component if you decided to use your HDMI input for something else in the future.

I ended up sticking with the S97 as I found the updated firmware greatly reduced the macroblocking issues. But had that not been available I would have gone with the Samsung. If you can live with the minor annoyances, I think you'll be happy with the PQ. (From one fellow "untrained eye" to another :) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.