AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two cost about the same, so I was wondering if one looked any better than the other? If I hook up an HTPC via the Audio Authority box that converts a monitor cable to component cable, will there be an effect on video quality?

...And what are the pros and cons of each. I can list a few that I can think of:

HD1000: plug and play through component, DVD-A, probably the best chipset in the Sage Fl2300, DCDi processing

HTPC: must use dscaler (more tweaking) but more options, can also play some high quality widescreen DD5.1 games, fan noise?, video quality up to par?, DTS ES discrete audio available?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Max,

with the TV you have I would not go with an HTPC, your Tosh does not do the 540p conversion. I use to have an HTPC hooked up to my 65HX81 till I got an RP-82 (RP-72 now) and the difference was very small. I don't thinkg it will be worth the hassle to be honest.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Juan
Max,

with the TV you have I would not go with an HTPC, your Tosh does not do the 540p conversion. I use to have an HTPC hooked up to my 65HX81 till I got an RP-82 (RP-72 now) and the difference was very small. I don't thinkg it will be worth the hassle to be honest.

Actually,

My current setup is a 92x52 in Da-Lite screen and a Sharp Z10000 projector. I have a Rocket 7.1 setup being powered by Halo gear. I have not upgraded my site in a while. :D :p

Here are some pictures of my current setup and HT room construction:
http://forum.**********/photopost/sho...ser=81&thumb=1

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh...another pro for HTPC is that my Halo unit and remote can be programmed via RS232

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If you are using a projector then you can definetely take advantage of an HTPC. And you could build one for a lot less than the HD-1000.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot less? For a good video and sound card as well as a quiet fan and wireless key board/mouse...what are we talking about? The best I have seen is around $1200 which is close to the HD1000.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If you are only going to use the HTPC for playing DVD's then you wont spend $1200.00. You don't need to use the latest processor, at one time I used a PIII 500 and for watching DVD's it was more than enough. I also used a SB Live and heard no difference between the SB Live and my RP-82, I purchased the SB Live for $40.00.

This of course is if you are going to build it, if you are going to purchase one built already then you will be spending abou $1200.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.