AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this on the DVD hardware forum, but to be fair, I thought I should post the question here as well...

"The two cost about the same, so I was wondering if one looked any better than the other? If I hook up an HTPC via the Audio Authority box that converts a monitor cable to component cable, will there be an effect on video quality?

...And what are the pros and cons of each. I can list a few that I can think of:

HD1000: plug and play through component, DVD-A, probably the best chipset in the Sage Fl2300, DCDi processing

HTPC: must use dscaler (more tweaking) but more options, can also play some high quality widescreen DD5.1 games, fan noise?, video quality up to par?, DTS ES discrete audio available?, my Halo unit and remote can be programmed via RS232 "

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody?...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I would suggest you wait for the Samsung 720p/1080i DVD player that is coming out this summer for a retail price of $350. I don't know anything about HD1000 but I suspect that it is limited to 720x480 output.

There was a thread on the new 720p/1080i Samsung player somewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Samsung HD1000 DVD player is the big brother of the 931 that you are talking about. It does 720p/1080i but through component instead of DVI which the 931 requires.

So, you are saying that this is better than an HTPC?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
So, you are saying that this is better than an HTPC?
I don't think anybody knows for sure. It probably depends a lot on your display, although I think it is likely that the HTPC would look better. More work, though. A bunch of us just ordered the Bravo D1 that upgrades DVD over the DVI with HDCP projection, so it will only work at 720p or 1080i with devices that can accept that. There is a thread here and I'm sure there are other threads. Some of us should get them delivered on Friday. I don't expect the D1 to be up to the quality of the Samsung, but figured it would make for a good test. If it is close to my HTPC I may use it for convenience at times. I'll probably still order the Samsung when it is released, since I think the 2300 chip will be worth it.

It would seem like the HD1000 prices should drop (some become available used) when the 931 is released, since it would seem to only have the advantage for devices without DVI-HDCP and and all digital path is usually better than component if your device will take it.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
I don't think anybody knows for sure. It probably depends a lot on your display, although I think it is likely that the HTPC would look better. More work, though. A bunch of us just ordered the Bravo D1 that upgrades DVD over the DVI with HDCP projection, so it will only work at 720p or 1080i with devices that can accept that. There is a thread here and I'm sure there are other threads. Some of us should get them delivered on Friday. I don't expect the D1 to be up to the quality of the Samsung, but figured it would make for a good test. If it is close to my HTPC I may use it for convenience at times. I'll probably still order the Samsung when it is released, since I think the 2300 chip will be worth it.

It would seem like the HD1000 prices should drop (some become available used) when the 931 is released, since it would seem to only have the advantage for devices without DVI-HDCP and and all digital path is usually better than component if your device will take it.

--Darin
Thanks for the honest and imformative answer. I have the Sharp Z10000 which I got about 2 weeks ago. I do have a decent computer that I constantly upgrade and do some gaming, but I was wondering if HTPC was up the quality of a good DVD player in terms of video and audio. In the video department, it has custom resolutions through dscaler but how are things like moire, chroma, artifacts, and chapter breaks/drops. For sound can a HTPC play DD EX or DTS ES encoded DVDs properly, can any sound card do DVD-A, HDCDs, or SACDs?

As far as the HD1000 dropping, I doubt it since only 1 or 2 stores will have it with the software patch that allows it to play copyprotected DVDs at these higher resolutions. I will keep an eye out on the D1 reviews though.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to see and hear Unreal II on the 106 in screen!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody??

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Max,

With the Sharp 10000 you should be able to use one of the DVI DVD players, so no need to spend your money on the HD1000 unless you have some problem with running a DVI cable (they can be more expensive than the players until somebody comes out with cheaper stuff). The DVI should be better than component since there is no conversion to analog. Alan (forum owner) got his D1 today and reported that with running 720p over DVI it is up there with his HTPC, which is saying quite a bit because most consider HTPCs near the top. For $200 you might want to take a shot with one of those. Just the convenience factor is worth something.

--Darin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.