AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I asked about visual artifacting when watching the Alice in Wonderland DVD. Apparently the HD841 is only good when upconverting? I'm using component out to my 32" CRT monitor. Frankly the HD841's PQ is not any better than my three-year-old Apex AD-5131 and is worse when you add in the visual artifacting. I bought the HD841 at techforless.com and still have about 2 weeks on the return policy. Should I return it and get something different? If I do think I'll try either the Panasonic S29 or the Toshiba K750P (had already tried one from costco, but it was defective). At this point I just want a DVD player with three things that costs less than $80:

1. Decent PQ over component

2. Digital output

3. Good at playing DVD-media and scratched discs.

Thanks,

-Jonathan.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
YOu keep getting exactly what you pay for. YOu seem to be very picky based on your continued posts about trying and returning so many machines. Up your budget a little, say up to $150, which is still really inexpensive, and you should be much happier....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
YOu keep getting exactly what you pay for. YOu seem to be very picky based on your continued posts about trying and returning so many machines. Up your budget a little, say up to $150, which is still really inexpensive, and you should be much happier....
My expectations WERE extremely high when I first started looking for a new DVD player but know I just want something that works. The only real motive I have for replacing my Apex AD-5131 is that it won't read my DVD+RW discs. It is a however a reliable player and does what it should.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Try the Sony NS50P, it doesn't upconvert but the PQ is excellent with it's 12 bit 108mhz DAC and it'll play anything (I mean anything!) you put in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon
Try the Sony NS50P, it doesn't upconvert but the PQ is excellent with it's 12 bit 108mhz DAC and it'll play anything (I mean anything!) you put in it.
Yeah, I've had my eye on it for while, but the slow loading time for discs that I've read about is dismaying.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It is a little slow but that's not a show stopper. Takes maybe 5 seconds to load instead of 3 on another player, no biggie. It fits your price range and the picture is stellar.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Denon 5900 and a Panasonic F65 connected to my Samsung HLP4674W 46" DLP. The Denon is connected via DVI and the Panasonic via component. The difference in picture quality isn't huge. The one that I prefer is the Denon, but for the price I paid for the Panasonic it's a real winner. I picked the Panasonic up for $15.00 less than you mentioned about a year ago. It will read CD-R/RW, DVD-RAM/R windows media, highmat, MP3, & jpeg. It also has optical out for 5.1.I and is a 5 disc changer, I haven't tried a DVD-RW disc though.

Depending on the TV a DVD player with a scaler may or may not be better than scaler in the TV and since you are talking about digital inputs I'm assuming that your TV has a scaler. Shop around I'm sure you can find something that will do well in your price range.

-john

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibreKid
Depending on the TV a DVD player with a scaler may or may not be better than scaler in the TV and since you are talking about digital inputs I'm assuming that your TV has a scaler. Shop around I'm sure you can find something that will do well in your price range.

-john
I was talking about component inputs which are analog. Anyway, no scaler, my TV is just a standard interlaced CRT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
:D

Well I'll second my vote for panasonic in your price range. Also get a copy of Avia to do some real A/B testing. There is also a DVD with benchmark clips that you can use. http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm Chances are with both of these tools you will be able to tell rather quickly if a DVD player is worth keeping for your TV.

Good luck.

-john

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibreKid
:D

Well I'll second my vote for panasonic in your price range. Also get a copy of Avia to do some real A/B testing. There is also a DVD with benchmark clips that you can use. http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm Chances are with both of these tools you will be able to tell rather quickly if a DVD player is worth keeping for your TV.

Good luck.

-john
Can I also use Avia to calibrate the DVD Player?

Thanks,

-Jonathan.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not really. It provides various test patterns that allow you to tune the basic TV user menu commands to match the DVD player that is playing it. What it CAN show you are things like overscan and how well the picture is centered. This is very DVD player specific. If your TV has multiple component inputs and memory you could set each DVD player to a different input and then to some neat AB testing. If your TV is older it probably doesn't have that feature but some do. Also since it's playing on the same TV you can compare notes between each DVD player. It's one of those things that the more you peel the onion the bigger it seems to get.

Hope this helps.

-john

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.