AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this player about a month ago , I thought the hdmi output and high resolution rescaling would be a step up from my old toshiba.

for the longest time I was convinced that the digital connection at 720p looked best, colors more vibrant, smoother picture, etc, etc...

the other night I hooked up some component cables I got with another TV and left the dvd player output to 480i... and I was like wow... colors were quite not as vivid but the picture was much crisper. I checked the component on 480p aswell and it looked awefull...

ok so now I am confused is this just a low quality dvd player that does a lousy job upscaling or is my just better equiped to handle the upscaling.

anyone have experience using and upscale player with this or another tv in the same size range?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Upconversion is best saved for fixed panel, higher resolution display. CRT may not see similar benefits. Sometimes the TV has better scaler than the DVD players, but mostly the upconverting DVD scaler is better. Your preferences may differ from mine so YMMV. Best to try from B&M store so you can return if you don't like it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to agree, but what is the benefit of using a digital connection when the analog looks better?

I am also wondering if the player just does a lousy job upconverting period.... seeings how 480i looks way better than 480p.

is there really any benefit upconverting a dvd from 480i to 480P?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.