AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that I wanted to use component instead of HDMI. I did the various hacks and nothing seemed to happen.. In the set up menue, it was locked at 480P. Last night watching constantine I pushed the HDMI select button on the remote and it changed from 480P to 720P to 768P to 1080I.. I checked the TV and sure enough the auto color matrix changed from SD to HD. I had the color matrix set on AUTO on my Panasonic. The picture is definately more consistant and quite nice. Has anyone else been succesful at upconverting via component with a US player? I really don't know if the hacks did anything at all. Also, should I set it to 768 or 720.. which one is better for the TV?

Delligatti

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have component only inputs on my Mitsu WT46809. I tried the Samsung 850 and 841. I also had the Zenith DVB318 flashed with the original firmware. I was successful getting all of them to upconvert as shown on my T.V.s display. I was not impressed with the Samsungs PQ. they didn't look as good as my progressive only player. The Zenith displayed a very good PQ over component although I think the advantage in PQ had more to do with the Faroudja chip. I returned all of the upconverting players and I am using a Onkyo DV-Sp302 progressive only, that's close in PQ, in my opinion, but a lot lighter in the wallet. I've decided to wait for a true HD-DVD or Blue-Ray player when they are tried, trued, tested and drop from their projected price, after being in the market for a while. In my opinion the improvement in PQ with component upconverting players wasn't enough to justify the extra expense over progressive only players.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delligatti
Has anyone else been succesful at upconverting via component with a US player? I really don't know if the hacks did anything at all. Also, should I set it to 768 or 720.. which one is better for the TV?

Delligatti
Most or all of the newer upconverting DVD players are HDCP compliant. This means that they will not upconvert to 720p/1080i to the component outputs, only to the DVI or HDMI output. The reason you got the conversion on a particular DVD is because that DVD is not copy-protected (does not contain HDCP coding).

I have a Canadian release of "Hero" which i was able to upconvert via component output, but several recently released DVDs that I purchased in the US failed to do so. I had to switch to HDMI if I wanted 720p.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko597
Most or all of the newer upconverting DVD players are HDCP compliant. This means that they will not upconvert to 720p/1080i to the component outputs, only to the DVI or HDMI output. The reason you got the conversion on a particular DVD is because that DVD is not copy-protected (does not contain HDCP coding).

I have a Canadian release of "Hero" which i was able to upconvert via component output, but several recently released DVDs that I purchased in the US failed to do so. I had to switch to HDMI if I wanted 720p.

So far, All the DVD's I have watched have upconverted through component, but only pushing the HDMI select button on the remote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.