AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this LCD DVD player combo hooked up via a 28awg monoprice HDMI, and I gotta say, I'm very disappointed. Regardless of the resolution I try (480p, 720p, or 1080i), I honestly don't think the picture looks any better than it did on my 6.5 year old Panasonic RV41 hooked up to the same TV via S-video, and may actually be worse than the Panny hooked up via component (had to switch to S-video since my HD receiver tied up my only component input).

What I'm noticing on some movies is sparkling almost (it looks different from typical pixilation or grainy picture). Could my HDMI cable be bad? When I first plugged it in the picture from the dvd player flicked off and the TV said no signal. So I turned off the player, pulled the HDMI, plugged it back in, restarted the movie and it was fine (as far as getting a picture - still not happy with picture quality with this player). Anyhow, I figured the cable must be ok and I just didn't have it plugged all the way in or something. My understanding was that HDMI cables are pretty much all or none, but maybe I'm wrong and you can have a functional cable that is still faulty and messing up the picture quality. Can someone clarify?

Did I just have too high of expectations, so I'm noticing all the imperfections? Or did I pick a crappy upscaling player to buy?

Now I know some see the upscaling players a mostly hype, but the thing is, my parents got a Sony upscaling player, hooked up to their 56" Samsung DLP (the 720p, not 1080p model), and I thought there was a noticeable difference.

Any suggestions on what to do? Return the HD860 and get a different upscaling player? Scrap the upconversion idea and just get a good ol progressive scan play and hook it back up to S-video? New HDMI cable?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question, slightly on a tangent here...

I saw in one of the other threads about the HD860 a post saying this player is picky about playing DVD+R discs. I've only used DVD+R's, so I really hope this isn't true.

I know my Panny (or PS2 for that matter) can't read the Verbatim +R DL discs I burned (although this may be an issue with the burner itself since the Panny could successfully read one of the 10 or so I tried), but never had a problem with it reading +R discs (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden).

I specifically stayed away from Toshiba dvd players because they do not list compatibility with +R, +RW, and +R DL in their specs online or on the box.

Maybe another HD860 owner has some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I too found that out the box the picture was bad, I had progressive off.

The picture improves alot if you turn brightness-and sharpness down to 3 or less ( they are at 5 by default) and then calibrate with either THX calibration (free on dvds like cars and the incredibles- ice age, etc.

Or Avia or dvd disk.

Calibration/Tweaking is key with any dvd player to achieve a good picture

That should remove all thge sparkies. Component gives a good Picture also and if your LCD has a good scaler, that is worth a try.

Not sure about the DVDr discs. Try some High Quality store bought movies.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.