AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently got a Samsung 43-inch DLP set and the Samsung HD931 DVD player (I'm watching DVDs through the DVI connection). I've heard many say that you should watch DVDs in 720p mode rather than 1080i for optimal PQ. When I watch DVDs in 720p mode however, there are black bars (maybe an inch wide) that are present on both sides of the screen (in addition to the expected black bars on the top and bottom of the screen). When I'm in 1080i mode, the video takes up the full width of the screen.

Is this behavior expected?

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue using the HD-931 and the Sammy HLN617W I have not seen any other complaints about this in other posts. I think it is an issue from using a 720P native TV and the HD-931 set to 720P If anyone else has this problem or has a cure please post info.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Make sure you set the aspect ratio through the TV to Wide TV and not Wide PC. And make sure the 931 display setting is put to wide.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have an HLN 467 and the HD931 DVD player. I set the player to 720p over DVI and have no problems.

My guess is try the suggestions Resist gave.

Sooke

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, my aspect ratio was set to Wide (PC) also. Changing it to Wide (TV) fixed the problem.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.