AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a problem last night while playing with my new toys. I hooked up the Samsung HD-931 via DVI to my new HLN567 and I was enjoying a beautiful DVD watching experience.

I also have my PC hooked up via the RGB connection. I started flipping between the two inputs while watching the same source DVD to see if I could see the PQ difference. When I switched to PC and back to DVI all I got was snow on the DVI input. It was a very repeatable experience, it happens almost every time I switch back and forth between these inputs. In order to get the DVD image back on the DVI input I had to either turn off/on the player or hit the DVI button to switch between 720p->1080i->480p.

I've read some posts that suggest this is a problem with the TV locking on to the DVI signal. I ran the same experiment using my Samsung TS-160 as the source DVI, and it never had a problem. It only seems to occur with the HD-931.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a known issue with either the TV or the DVD player?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can't say that I've tried this but I've got the same setup at home and I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to play with this again today and I managed to repeat the problem. It doesn't occur on 100% of transitions, it took me 2 or 3 switches to get it to happen. Also a few times I noticed it going to snow for a moment and then picking up the image, this was new for me.

Could this have anything to do with HDCP? I ask because it *seems* to happen more frequently when I'm watching a home authored DVD (my TV shows) rather than a standard store bought movie.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if it's related but I had a strange problem the other day with my HLN567.

I have a Momitsu V880 DVD player hooked up to the DVI input and a Sega Dreamcast hooked up to the VGA input. The Momitsu currently has a known problem with the DVI output not turning off when the player is powered down. The other day my nephew was playing the Dreamcast when suddenly the VGA signal started cutting on and off. I thought it might have been the DVI output from the Momitsu causing the problem so I unhooked the V880 from the DVI input. Problem fixed.

Aparrently the Samsung DLPs can't handle a signal being fed to the DVI and VGA at the same time.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi, mine does the same thing. I have a pt-50lc13, and when I was comparing the hd931 through dvi with my dvd-563a through component 1, after about 5-6 switches the dvi input would produce snow. Cycling through the resolutions would bring it back, or powering it off/on. Same thing happened comparing the component input of the 931 to the dvi as well. Must be something hdcp related. This was using store bought movies btw.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My 437W/931 setup will produce snow on occasion if I keep switching back and forth between other inputs and DVI. It's a rare enough occurrence not to bother me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was able to reproduce the problem with my HD931 to the HLN567 via DVI and my laptop to VGA. If I switched back and forth I'd see snow on the DVI a little more than half the time as I switched to DVI but it would generally remain for only 2 to 10 seconds and then go to a regular picture. I never had to wait more than about 10 seconds before the snow went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.