AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup currently is an HD-941 connected to a Benq 8700+ thru component/BNC. When the projector is in native widescreen mode (no stretching) using a 1:1.85 disc (not a 1:2.35) the top of the picture is skewed to the right just like an old VHS tape with bad tracking. It will not do it when output is 480p. Just 720p and 1080i. 720p is actually worse than 1080i. Is this some kind of Macrovision artifact? It is really bothersome. I don't want to have to overscan the image to eliminate it.

BTW when I play copies of my own DVD's that have been ripped, the phenomenon is gone. I don't want to have to rip all of my own anamorphic discs.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Well I will tell you my issues I have with the HD941 and Sanyo Z1.

720p is crap on my player as well - worse than 480p.

1080i has overscan but going into the Z1s service menu I was able to fix that.

Interesting that ripped movies are fine.....that doesn't make sense to me but maybe someone else can answer that one.

Didn't really answer your questions but gave you my issues as well. Did you do the Firmware update on the 941?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure which FW is on the unit. I just bought it this month so I imagine it should be current. I did download the newest FW and plan on checking it out tonite.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
My setup currently is an HD-941 connected to a Benq 8700+ thru component/BNC. When the projector is in native widescreen mode (no stretching) using a 1:1.85 disc (not a 1:2.35) the top of the picture is skewed to the right just like an old VHS tape with bad tracking. It will not do it when output is 480p. Just 720p and 1080i. 720p is actually worse than 1080i. Is this some kind of Macrovision artifact? It is really bothersome. I don't want to have to overscan the image to eliminate it.

BTW when I play copies of my own DVD's that have been ripped, the phenomenon is gone. I don't want to have to rip all of my own anamorphic discs.
I believe your problem is that the 941 doesn't upconvert over component without a firmware hack, maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: There may be a firmware hack, but try this remote hack: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=567032

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
This occurs on my NEC LT150 DLP also. Upgrading to latest posted firmware (from Samsung website) helps but does not eliminate it completely. This occurs even after HDCP Free remote hack (otherwise it won't upconvert via component at all). My only recommendation is to use HDMI or DVI connection. I mentioned Macrovision but was told by others that 720p or 1080i does not support Macrovision. Thus I believe it's something screwy with the sync. of Samsung HD9xx with 1080i/720p component with some displays (not all mind you). HDMI/DVI are perfect but most want to save these connections for HDTV STB. This does not occur with Zenith DVB318, LiteON LVD-2001, HDTV receiver, external scaler, or Neuneo HVD108 at 1080i component. Thus, it must be Samsung's screwy HDCP or sync. issues at 720p/1080i component even after the HDCP Free hack.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK,

I updated my FW from the 10/04 version to the 02/05 one. Not really much difference at 720p - it will stay straight longer before the skewing sets in upon resolution changes. 1080i is much less noticeable save for the stupid white line that shows up at the top of the screen

The issue is definitely Macrovision related. I played my original copy of Predator vs a ripped copy I made tonite and guess what - the ripped version has no skew lines. This is definitely related somehow to Macrovision or some copy protection artifact. I would imagine that those who have to run component output would need something like an ISCAN HD or HD+ to clean the upconverting thru component signal.

Surely Samsung could fix this glitch!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried ripped disks and commercial movies on 720p and 1080i thru component,

all came out bending problem on the top of screen only for 16:9 format.

But thru HDMi, no more bending issue !! So need to use HDMI or DVI if you want

to upconvert the signal to 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after the firmware update I re-calibrated with DVE last nite thru the upscaling component. One thing is for sure - the firmware opened up the range of the grayscale. Before I could either accept black crush or white crush on the gray scale gradient. To pass BTB no matter what I did the white would clip before the 100% gradient. Now after the firmware I get both BTB AND no white clipping until just after 100%. I can now both see the 95% white and black squares clearly!! And this is thru component.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.