AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I currently have a Samsung LS-3241D HD TV. That can do resolutions up to 1080I. My TV has 2 HDMI inputs and one VGA input as well as component and composite video inputs. When I had bought the TV I had the intent on setting it up so that I can project my PC onto the TV screen, however after getting the TV and glancing at the user manual, it says that PC connection via HDMI is "not supported". It is not possible for me to connect the TV through the VGA cable as VGA signal drops off at something like 15ft which puts the TV out of range, as well as the fact that the VGA cable is bulky, unsightly and hard to hide. I really don't understand why it wouldn't work and I am wondering if they just put that message in the user manual so that they don't have to offer instructions, or technical support for it or something of this nature. I wondered if anyone out there has any experience connecting the Samsung to the PC using HDMI, or if anyone has any insight. Thanks alot in advance guys

-Mike F

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not sure about the HDMI issue, but with a quality cable VGA should be able to go 50-75ft without problem. I run my main computer to my 37" LCD using a 35ft cable and have problem at 1360x768.

If you need to go further, there are VGA extenders available which can reach 100 meters or more.

Mez

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I have the Samsung 5665 with the manual that states the same thing - PC hookup only. I have not tried HDMI or DVI, it might be that Samsung just does not want to do call center support for it.

First off, you do not want the bulky cables, go with the cheaper ones. The bulky ones are missing wires needed for the PC to detect your TV as a device. Secondly, do a search, for "VGA" and the author of "Mr Wigggles". He had a posting about 3 years ago in the projectors forum about building a 25 foot VGA cable from Cat 5.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mie says the same, but I am connected via dvi-hdmi cable. No problems at 1200x668.

Cant get 1080i to display right. Maybe if I ever find powerstrip settings for my display...

I have problems in Vista though. The drivers dont work right yet.

DVI/HDMI look way better than VGA. I have both connected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I think Im gonna try to make a VGA cable out of the cat 5 as the wire is small enough to run through the floor via small hole that already exists. I appreciate the quick replies and the idea to make the cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.