AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have comments on a Samsung HDTV 47" model HCL4715W. A friend of mine is going to buy this, but I have not had any experience in a Samsung unit (picture quality, ease of calibration, doubler.) Thanks in advance.....

---Andy Garabedian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by andyg
Anyone have comments on a Samsung HDTV 47" model HCL4715W. A friend of mine is going to buy this, but I have not had any experience in a Samsung unit (picture quality, ease of calibration, doubler.) Thanks in advance.....

---Andy Garabedian
I briefly owned the 55 inch version of this set. It's got a nice picture and seems well made. It's claimed resolution is less than Toshiba's (1000 vs 1600) and the resulting picture is a little softer but still very good. What I hated most about this set and the reason I traded it in was that there was no way to program a universal remote to discretely change modes. Mode changes were toggle-only. I use a Philips Pronto to manage all the components and having a toggle-only device was not for me. The other reason is that Toshiba's seem well documented and supported through these fora. For instance, I was able to do electronic focus and the service convergence just by reading a few notes. Try finding that kind of info on the Samsung.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've got the 55" model. I'm thrilled (of course) with the HD picture, but I do have a couple beefs:

1) Only one wideband component video input. I can't hook up my progressive DVD player to the TV if I have my HDTV tuner hooked up.

2) No discrete power/switching codes available for my Pronto.

On the plus side, their service seems to be pretty good. I couldn't get the picture converged properly with the user convergence menu, so they sent a service guy out and I peeked over his shoulder, so if anyone wants the service convergence controls, PM me or reply in this thread and I'll send them or post them. I've been able to tweak the settings for both the HD and NTSC inputs.

I also like having the VGA input around back. Haven't used it much, but it's cool!

Finally, the thing that sold me on the Samsung at the store was the front input jack panel. Push a button on the front of the set, and a panel slides down to reveal the inputs and front panel menu controls. OK, I'm a dork :D

Now if only I could get more than just HDnet...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.