AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching and reading through these forums, I have been going through the process to calibrate my TV. I am basically following the guide at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11301427 - Samsung HL-S Service Menu Calibration with HCFR and a Spyder2 probe or Eye-One Colorimeter. The gray scale process was no problem, I have the readings for that looking pretty good. The problem I am having is adjusting the colors (x,y,Y) in the CCA menu. No changes I make in this menu affect the color readings at all. I can alter these numbers as much as I want (over 100) and the readings in HCFA remain exactly the same. I have tried turning CCA off and back on, I have tried exiting the service menu completely before taking readings, and nothing I do causes the color x,y readings to change at all. Is there some other menu I should be looking at? Has anyone with a HLxxA650 had any luck with this or similar issues? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
First of all with the Samsung DLPs, CCA adjustments should be completed prior to grayscale. With CCA properly set, there will be minimal (if any) adjustments to be made for grayscale.

Anyway, reference this thread instead: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...457&highlight=

I have posted quite a few tips especially for the A650 in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thank you for your reply. Lots of good information in that other thread. However, after reading though it and following the suggestions, I still have the same problem. The x,y color readings do not change after making adjustments in the Cinema CCA menu. Here's what I was doing in case I missed something:

1. Enable expert mode.

2. Set P-Mode to calibrate.

3. CCA - off

4. Take color readings with built in test patterns.

5. Input color x,y,Y values into CCA menu.

6. CCA - on

7. Take color readings again with built in test patterns.

8. In Cinema CCA menu, adjust Dx,y values the difference between my measured readings and the reference standard.

9. Remeasure from built in test patterns - there are no changes in readings from before adjusting Dx,y values.

I tried adjusting the color Dx,y values in the CCA menu as well as Cinema CCA, neither produce any results.

Am I missing something somewhere? My CIE triangle is quite far off so it would be great to figure out how to get this adjusted.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

WB spread ...

regards

·
Registered
243 Posts
Michael is correct. WB Spread before turning CCA back on. Also in your Step 7, you should be using patterns either on a test disk or on a signal generator. You should not be taking readings with the internal color patterns at step 7.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you again for your help and suggestions guys. I appreciate it. I followed the suggestions and yet my problem remains. I did a WB Spread before turning CCA back on in step 6. Then in step 7 used tests patterns from a HD disk instead of the built in menu. Still, any changes I make to DcolorX,Y values do not affect the color readings. I have tried turning CCA off, doing a WB Spread, and turning CCA back on when making these changes too, but no change. Any further ideas?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I made the adjustments in the DESATURATION menu using a Excel spread sheet to find new values. While it doesn't make sense the Service Manual lists in the REMARKS COLUMN of Cinima CCA that these are target values for CCA. 1 RED X, 2 RED Y, 3 GREEN X, 4 GREEN Y, 5 BLUE X, 6 BLUE Y, 7 CYAN X, 8 CYAN Y, 9 MAGENTA X, 10 MAGENTA Y.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help, but after looking through the service menu I do not see a desaturation menu on my A650. Is it burried in a submenu somewhere?

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco_ /forum/post/15617016

Thanks for the help, but after looking through the service menu I do not see a desaturation menu on my A650. Is it burried in a submenu somewhere?

Sorry, should have opened my eyes. I was referring to A750.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Guys, I'm working on calibrating my 67a750 and am curious whether it's necessary to adjust the color and tint controls in the service menu. If so, at what point is this done? I've adjusted the contrast, brightness, then set up the CCA and then adjusted the cuts/gains to dial in grayscale. However, my red Y is not measuring 21% of my white Y. I adjusted the color command to compensate and it affected my primaries and secondaries. Should I adjust color and tint controls prior to setting up the CCA? Perhaps it's not necessary to adjust these with this display, or maybe I'm not completely understanding the theory behind making these adjustments. I'm curious to hear how others have handled this. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts