AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sammy, model HL-P5063W. Purchased in April, 2005. I've been pleased with the performance since the day I brought it home. Lately, however, it has been acting up. After some run time, say I watched a movie and the set has been on for two or three hours, the unit will be powered off. Perhaps 15 minutes later someone turns on the set and that's when the problems begin. I hear the it power up but the picture never appears and the lamp doesn't power on. The set tries to power up several times and then all three lights on the power button flash. In the manual it states that this might mean the lamp is bad.

Some additional research got me into the on screen service menu, where it shows the bulb use at only 2150 hours. Not much, considering the unit is almost two years old. So I guess my question is, for those with a Sammy DLP, what has been your experience with these bulbs? I've been told the life expectancy is between 6,000 and 8,000 hours.

And assuming the bulb is shot, what is the going price these days?

Worse, if it isn't the bulb, any other ideas before I call the technician and break into the vault to pay?

Thank you.

· Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ290 /forum/post/0

I have a Sammy, model HL-P5063W. Purchased in April, 2005. I've been pleased with the performance since the day I brought it home. Lately, however, it has been acting up. After some run time, say I watched a movie and the set has been on for two or three hours, the unit will be powered off. Perhaps 15 minutes later someone turns on the set and that's when the problems begin. I hear the it power up but the picture never appears and the lamp doesn't power on. The set tries to power up several times and then all three lights on the power button flash. In the manual it states that this might mean the lamp is bad.

Some additional research got me into the on screen service menu, where it shows the bulb use at only 2150 hours. Not much, considering the unit is almost two years old. So I guess my question is, for those with a Sammy DLP, what has been your experience with these bulbs? I've been told the life expectancy is between 6,000 and 8,000 hours.

And assuming the bulb is shot, what is the going price these days?

Worse, if it isn't the bulb, any other ideas before I call the technician and break into the vault to pay?

Thank you.

I have a HL-P5663W and the original bulb burned out in less than 6 months. I'm not sure if it was just a bad bulb or if I had messed it up during initial setup of the TV (I was bad and pulled the power plug a few times without allowing the bulb to properly cool off). That being said, I bought a replacement bulb on eBay for around $100.00. That bulb has lasted around two years now. I also bought a second spare bulb just in case. I guess the main reason for my reply is to tell you to look on eBay for a spare bulb. I got really good prices on eBay. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.