AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a Samsung HL-R5078W 50 inch DLP set. It works fine except that if you've had it on for an hour or more, if you try to turn it off and back on immediately, you hear a loud sound like a wheel is spinning really fast. It does this about three times, then the set shuts off, then tries to turn itself back on. It then goes through that same cycle. If I leave it unplugged for about 30 minutes, the TV will power back up properly. Could someone tell me what is wrong with my TV and what part I would need to fix it? Is it a heat issue to where when the heat dissipates, the TV can then come back on again? The TV is on a stand about a foot away from the wall, so I don't believe it to be a heat issue. Other than this, I love my DLP. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You're lucky the tv has lasted this long. You are not supposed to turn the tv on and off quickly. 20 minutes between off and turning back on is recommended to allow the bulb to cool off and not have to relite from an overheated state, and it allows all the other parts to cool down also.

The sound you are hearing sounds like the color wheel starting to fail, but if you've been cycling on/off like you mention for a long time, other things in there may be dying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. We really haven't been turning the TV off and on quickly at all. I'm just saying that the times that I have done it, that's when I hear what sounds like the color wheel spinning out of control. My guess is the color wheel like what you're saying unless it's the fan, but it doesn't sound like what I would think the fan spinning that fast would sound like. I wasn't aware of the 20 min off time. I'll definitely keep that in mind. You're correct. I am lucky that this set hasn't failed before now. I love the size and the sharpness of the picture when viewing HDTV or my viewing my computer connected to the VGA port, but judging by what I've seen in these forums, this set should have fallen apart long ago. I'm glad that I can come here and get some answers. Thanks so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts