AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the new Samsung 1080P will compare with the newer Sony sets? Was anyone at the show who saw both sets. The Samsung boosts 10k to 1 contrast while the Sony set is much less. ANy opinions from those who have seen either set compared to the 720P sets too?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh this thread should go well. ;)

It's going to be 99.5% speculation, conjecture and pontification until the SXRD sets hit the CEDIA show (9/7-9/11). They haven't made a publc appearance in fishished trim yet.

I'm looking forward to Rogo posting his comments after the show.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Samsung is out and the Quali set will be close to what the new SXDRD sets look like so I think that these thread could have legs with intelligent comparisons. I just got back from BB Magnolia and checked out the new Samsung 1080P and it was quickly dismissed. There was a 60" Sony near by that looked much better. But the deal killer is that the DLP sets are not evenly lit and have limited viewing angles. The Sony is evenly lit with better viewing angles. The only sets looking a bit better than the Sony were the Plasmas.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hope nobody freaks out and considers this Samsung bashing but I have a question about the HL-R6168W. I have seen this same effect at two different locations both times on HL-R6168W sets. When there is motion (just someone casually walking accross the screen) the image is slightly rough where the motion is occuring. When the motion stops, there is an image enhancement a half second or so later that almost doubles the resolution of the rough edges and smooths things dramaticly. Once the motion begins again the enhancement is lost and the picture goes back to being rough. It became a regular process. It was very distracting to see the image visibly set, and enhance, evry time it stopped.

Is this the DNIeâ„¢ processing of the image or compression in the digital feed going into the set? There was a Qialia 006 next to it but unfortunately they had a DVD feed to it. I didn't see the same effect on the Q. There were no ither 1080p sets on the feed to compare to but I didn't see it on any of the 720p sets using the same feed.

Samsung's DNIeâ„¢ - Digital Natural Image engine

Samsung's Digital Natural Image engine makes the sharpest and clearest images possible, regardless of the profile of input signals. Its advanced image processors and six-times density enhancer help to create true-to-life colors and high contrast, while virtually eliminating digital artifacts.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If I were to guess, the 'roughness' during motion was probably the feed. Sounds very much like good 'ol MPEG2 which can 'clean up' a static image because it can throw more bits at it vs when the picture goes into very much motion.

On another note (and I'm not bashing Samsung so please read on): I very much wanted to like the new 1080p TI-based sets, so I went to see the first Samsung sets on display. However, I was met with the same disappointment I met with back on the xHD2-based sets. For me, and I don't know why I'm sensitive to this, but perhaps part of it is that I know too much about the technicalities, the fact that the portions of the image that begin to move jump out with diamond patterns becomes distracting to my viewing (this is not at 1 ft from the screen, btw but at 6+ feet). I Soooooo want to see a HD4+ chip (please TI). I just seem to have a hard time with the xHD-based technology.

-Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, now that both TVs have been on the market for some time, I would like to re-open this conversation. Without blindly saying which is better, I would like to see some honest discussion on strengths and weaknesses of these two sets. If any additional sets are mentioned, then strong justifications should be mentioned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
IMO, at this point in time, I would wait for the next generation for both of these sets (neither currently accepts a 1080p signal over HDMI, but both will in the next generation due out in a few months). Of the current sets, most people seem to prefer the Sony overall, but there are also some posts of green blobs when turning on the set, and there is talk about detachable speakers in the next generation (check out the SXRD threads for more info).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.