AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep this simple and for those of you who like to read into everything and flame people for asking a simple question which doesn't need a smart remark, I would like people's view on what they would do. I am going to purchase a TV with in the next month and I have decided to go with one of these two. I know the SXRD is not out. I have heard of some small issues with the Samsung. I want to know is, would you wait for the SXRD or would you go with the Samsung. Which do you think would be more reliable in the long run, as I am not a millionaire and I can't spend 4 thousand plus on a tv every year. Just curious as to what people would do. Ignorant remarks are not requested so if u have one keep it to yourself. Thanks

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
As you state, it's impossible to compare TVs when one of them is not even available yet. The Qualia is considered one of the best HDTVs out there. But, it goes for $13000, and I cannot believe SXRDs will be the same quality at $4000 (despite using the same technology). Even Qualia, however, does not have the black levels of CRTs or even DLPs. And of course some people see rainbows with DLP. Bottom line: nobody can answer for you. Your best bet is to go to a few stores, see whether you like the Sammy DLP, and see whether you like the Qualia. If you like the DLP better than the Qualia, then definitely it's silly to wait for the SXRDs (they will not be better than the Qualia). If you like the Qualia better than the DLP, then yes, you should wait to see how good the SXRDs will be. These are very different technologies, with different pros and cons, so again, nobody can answer for you (they can only give you their own biased opinions).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to Sears tonight and looked at the tv's on hand. They do not have any new models in stock yet but I did look at last years model of the Samy DLP and I thought it looked quite well. I don't see how people see a rainbow effect on these sets. I am going to look at some other places and maybe I can find a new Samy. I will be using this TV for movies, HD tv, standard, Gaming and also for a monitor, so I trying to get my bang for my buck and don't want to fall short anywhere. Thanks for your insight on what you know. I have heard of the Qualia and this one is out of my price range. I have not seen it so I have nothing to really base my oppinion of the SXRD. I guess I will have to wait to mid September from what I have read.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicknight
To keep this simple and for those of you who like to read into everything and flame people for asking a simple question which doesn't need a smart remark, I would like people's view on what they would do. I am going to purchase a TV with in the next month and I have decided to go with one of these two. I know the SXRD is not out. I have heard of some small issues with the Samsung. I want to know is, would you wait for the SXRD or would you go with the Samsung. Which do you think would be more reliable in the long run, as I am not a millionaire and I can't spend 4 thousand plus on a tv every year. Just curious as to what people would do. Ignorant remarks are not requested so if u have one keep it to yourself. Thanks
An impossible question to answer at present. We know Samsung DLP's have not had a track record for being particularly reliable and have no clue as to the SXRD's reliability since it has not been released yet let alone people having them in their homes for a long enough period of time to form an opinion on their reliability. If reliabilty is what you are looking for you're barking up the wrong tree with Samsung DLP's, and SXRD reliability is a totally unproven and unknown factor at this point. I would say LCD or LCD RP's probably have had the fewest reliability issues overall. And of course, the trusty old, but heavy direct view CRT's and RP CRT's probably have been the most reliable. You'll get plenty of excellent critiques of the SXRDs here, i'm sure. you'll just have to wait some months....

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
If reliabilty is what you are looking for you're barking up the wrong tree with Samsung DLP's, and SXRD reliability is a totally unproven and unknown factor at this point. I would say LCD or LCD RP's probably have had the fewest reliability issues overall.
More Sony LCDs actually require repairs than any other HDTV. They also lead in sales, so it's difficult to know whether their repair record reflects poor reliability or just more sets out there. Samsung DLPs are also outselling other DLP brands, so again, difficult to know whether their repairs reflect poor reliability or just more sets out there. I would base any decision on what looks best to you, rather than supposed reliablity which is difficult to quantify.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
More Sony LCDs actually require repairs than any other HDTV.
Source???

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
More Sony LCDs actually require repairs than any other HDTV. They also lead in sales, so it's difficult to know whether their repair record reflects poor reliability or just more sets out there. Samsung DLPs are also outselling other DLP brands, so again, difficult to know whether their repairs reflect poor reliability or just more sets out there. I would base any decision on what looks best to you, rather than supposed reliablity which is difficult to quantify.
have

You neglect to mention Sony 3LCD's comprise close to 40% of the sales in the ENTIRE Microdisplay sector, so they obviously would have more total repairs. As opposed to Samsung DLP's which are what? Maybe 5-7% of this market? Percentage-Wise Samsung DLP's have a much worse reliability rating than Sony 3LCD's - or any other microdisplay. A couple of people have mentioned that Sears is phasing them out because thier quality control is so poor, it's just not worth the effort to sell them; they just keep getting sent back.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"But, it goes for $13000, and I cannot believe SXRDs will be the same quality at $4000 (despite using the same technology)."

I can. They intend to sell many more and don't really need to be in the business of warranty-repairing them. There are also not very many parts likely to fail.

" Even Qualia, however, does not have the black levels of CRTs or even DLPs."

The new SXRDs will.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
"But, it goes for $13000, and I cannot believe SXRDs will be the same quality at $4000 (despite using the same technology)."

I can. They intend to sell many more and don't really need to be in the business of warranty-repairing them. There are also not very many parts likely to fail.

" Even Qualia, however, does not have the black levels of CRTs or even DLPs."

The new SXRDs will.
I really hope they do. If so, it will be time for a FP with a 93 in. diagonal

screen :) which should hold me over for a few years until 70 in. SED hits

the streets at an acceptable price point.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
But at least one of those "couple of people" has a history of Samsung-bashing in this forum so I would question their motives, so how can we trust what they say, or even what a couple of sales guys at Sears say? After all, how much trust would you put in what a sales guy at Sears or BB or CC says? Most of the time they are not even sure which manufacturer produces sets with a particular display technology such as DLP or RP-LCD (I had a sales person telling me yesterday that the new Mits 1080p sets are RP-LCDs not DLPs). A sales person at my local BB told me a few months ago that they stopped selling JVC D-ILAs because they weren't selling enough, they were too unreliables, and most of those that they sold were being returned. Who are you going to believe? The BB sales guy? Me?
A lot of truth in what you say, but also pretty well known among dealers, wholesalers and industry folk that Samsung DLP's have had very poor reliability and the early returns on their 1080P's does not inspire confidence that it is improving any time soon...

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
Percentage-Wise Samsung DLP's have a much worse reliability rating than Sony 3LCD's - or any other microdisplay.
I would actually bet that JVC DILAs have the worst reliability percentage-wise. They are a much smaller % of sales, and have sold quite a lot of DILAs with defective light engines. The bottom line is that we are all guessing, and you and your "sources" still have not come up with any data to support your biased claims (sorry, but "everyone in the industry knows" is not proof).

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext
Source???
There was a post just the other day that Sony LCDs led the way in repairs in the Chicago area. You can probably find by searching "Chicaco" in this forum.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
I would actually bet that JVC DILAs have the worst reliability percentage-wise. They are a much smaller % of sales, and have sold quite a lot of DILAs with defective light engines. The bottom line is that we are all guessing, and you and your "sources" still have not come up with any data to support your biased claims (sorry, but "everyone in the industry knows" is not proof).
JVC D-ILA sets have been amonst the worst sets for reliability. Didn't they

have a problem catching fire or something like that? JVC-DILA also have

very very low market share of RPs.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
I remember a few posts about the fires with DILAs as well. Also, I remember reading on the forum that one of the Toshiba DLP models is not made by Toshiba, and is the absolute worst DLP on the market in terms of PQ quality and reliablity. And then there are PQ tilts with Mits DLPs. As you can see, there is no perfect brand, and singling one brand out is nothing more than personal bias.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Sources?? If You don't know this, you haven't been paying attention. It's not a shock or surprise to anyone. Talk to service techs, dealers, wholesalers - anyone you choose who is objective in the industry. Samsung DLP's have had the worst return and repair rate in the industry out of all microdisplays and, if anything seem to be getting worse with the early returns on their 1080P's. just check out Samsung owner's threads here from people who are VERY pro-Samsung. You'll get some idea of their quality-control problems. But, you are right in that JVC D-ILA's have had a lot of reliability problems also. The major difference is that they seem to have corrected a lot of this with their newer models. Lots less reported problems and returns, whereas Samsung may have gotten even worse. We'll have to see how the next few runs of their 1080P's do....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
I remember a few posts about the fires with DILAs as well. Also, I remember reading on the forum that one of the Toshiba DLP models is not made by Toshiba, and is the absolute worst DLP on the market in terms of PQ quality and reliablity. And then there are PQ tilts with Mits DLPs. As you can see, there is no perfect brand, and singling one brand out is nothing more than personal bias.
Actually, you're quite wrong about this. Toshiba DLP's have been among the most reliable and have had a very low rate of return. Dealers are very satisfied with their reliability.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In order to keep this thread fair and balanced it must also be mentioned that the main reason that many of these HDTV's are returned is because of how poorly SD programming can appear on these sets. One irony is that probably the better looking the set is with HDTV the more SD programming appears bad to the general public.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
The 56 inch Sammy's MSRP=the 50 inch SXRD MSRP=3999.00

The 52 inch Mits MSRP=3699.00

Both the Sammy and the Mits are actually *narrower* due to bottom speaker placement.

If the PQ's are comparable amongst them, it may come down to these sorts of differences for me.

I'm still a little miffed at Sony for their handling of the whole GWIII "buzz" lamp issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.