AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at both of these TV's and I want to buy one as soon as possible.

Which one would you guys suggest?

From the specs they look pretty similar and different reviews say different things are better or worse about each one. I would appreciate any input from people who are more knowledable about this stuff than I am.

I went to the store to look at them and they looked pretty much the same to much, not a huge difference in between either one.

It won't let me post a link to the tvs because I am new here.... but it I'm sure you guys can find the links.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
apples to apples - the general consensus here would be (this is perhaps the 1000th time this question ahs been asked) that it depends on 2 things.

If you plan on using a 360 as a HD DVD player - get the samsung since it accepts 1080p over vga and component.

If you plan on getting it calibrated professionally get the samsung. If you don'tplan on calibration at ll get the sony. The sony is suuposed to be one of the best looking sets out of the box. But the samsung is supposed to have the best after calibration.

Both are great sets and you won't feel duped if you buy either. Unless it happens to be a lemon.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
The Feb issue of Home Theater ranked Samsung #1 for PQ, ahead of Sony (and other LCOS and DLP displays). PQ is close between them, and you can't go wrong with either. Get whichever has the features you want and looks best to your eyes.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase99 /forum/post/0

How hard would it be to calibrate myself?

Not very hard at all. Do you own a decent hammer and philips head screwdriver, and are you fairly comfortable with both? If so, you can easily find the calibration instructions on the web for the model TV you're looking for and save yourself $600.

Good luck to you sir!

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:

I doubt it takes a hammer and a philips head screwdriver. If you don't feel comfortable posting information that is helpful to others then don't bother posting.

The point is unless you are trained in calibration and AV equipment, and have $50000 dollars worth of calibration equipment and years of experience...you won't be calibrating it yourself. You can purchase a DVE or Avia disk and do a basic calibration of the user settings yourself, but to achieve a professional calibration, you will need to hire a pro who has the equipment and years of experience necessary to do it right. All you will manage to do if you start fiddling with the inner workings of your set and its Service Menu is ruin it. It is well worth the cost to pay someone for a professional job (and $600 is a joke...that's a huge exagerration) vs. destroying your own set and voiding your warranty because you tried to use someone's Internet cookbook on how to calibrate your own set.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:

Ah I see.... how "bad" would the samsung look compared to the Sony uncalibrated?

Also why don't the TVs just come calibrated from the manufacturers?

That's an excellent question and the reason is probably because it takes quite a while to successfully calibrate a set. Settings on one manufacturer line may not work for another line, and so on and so forth. Not to mention the cost the manufacturer saves by simply applying default settings and getting the tv's out the door asap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's a tough call between two great sets.

I was going between these two sets my-self and chose the Sony.

From the research I gathered, they both seemed very similar in terms of performance.

As someone mentioned tho, the Samsung just did very very in a Home Theatre t.v. review this month.

I got a smokin' deal on the Sony at a store that did not carry the Samsung; thus making my decision somewhat easier.

However, all things being equal, the two sets are hard to choose between.

Do you prefer the style of one of the sets more then the other?

Personally, I liked the "look" of the Sony a bit better versus the totally flat front and gloss black of the Samsung.

That's just me though. Surely others would prefer the flat look of the Sammy......

G/L with your decision. You certainly can't go wrong with either set and they'll both look fantastic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just found the samsung one for $2000 shipped from amazon and the sony is $350 more so I would rather save the money since both sets are so comparable and go with the samsung. Plus I do like the look of the samsung and the picture quality. I went to the store today again to see both of them side by side and there is not a major difference between the two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn it this morning when I was about to order the Samsung the price was $2,099 now they jacked it up to $2,599 for the same TV. Sigh.... I guess I will wait till the price gets back to a reasonable one to order.

Oh and audi0mixer the TV that you posted is about $4,000 which I don't want to spend. I was asking for TVs in a similar price range. Your post is kind of like me asking is a Corolla better or a Civic, with your response being get a Porsche the two you said can't compare.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:

Damn it this morning when I was about to order the Samsung the price was $2,099 now they jacked it up to $2,599 for the same TV. Sigh.... I guess I will wait till the price gets back to a reasonable one to order.

Oh and audi0mixer the TV that you posted is about $4,000 which I don't want to spend. I was asking for TVs in a similar price range. Your post is kind of like me asking is a Corolla better or a Civic, with your response being get a Porsche the two you said can't compare.

You've been trolled! New member "audi0mixer" is not who he appears to be (check posting history).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.