AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my girlfriend has a samsung hl-t5087s. we have our cable box connected to the tv via hdmi, her wii and ps2 connected via component video/analog audio. we have connected her apple ipod hifi to the optical out on the tv. the tv passes 2 channel to the hifi - which is great because the hifi doesn't accept 5.1dd - but when the cablebox feeds the tv audio over hdmi the tv doesn't see to pass 2ch downmix to the hifi over the optical cable.

is there maybe a hidden setting somewhere to set the tv to downmix out over the optical?

thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
let me clarify that the analog audio connected to both component inputs is sent back out over the optical. the audio coming in over hdmi is not being passed back out - or its being passed in 5.1dd and not 2ch

·
Registered
170 Posts
The TV should be passing a two channel, stereo mix out all the time unless it is a ATSC channel that has a dd5.1 track. That's one of the complaints myself and lots of other people have with the Samsung series over the years.

If your cable box is hooked up via HDMI and the TV is passing 5.1 out, that would be a first. Sell me that TV!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the cable box is connected to the tv via hdmi - it doesn't seem as if the tv is passing anything out the optical - but it most definitely is not passing a two channel signal as that is all the ipod hifi accepts - and it is not playing anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hm, my current set is completely broken and my second replacement (this time a HL-T5687) will be here tomorrow so I can't directly test today. I want to say that my father's HL-T5687 didn't pass anything out over optical either. He has a Dish HD DVR hooked up via HDMI. He had to connect the optical to the DVR to get any sound.

It's possible that the cable box is sending a copy protect flag and Samsung is honoring it. DRM is nice huh? *sighs*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts