AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get an audio signal out via the Digital Optical out connector on my Samsung HL-T5687S while I am connected via HDMI sources? I phoned Samsung tech support and they said no, but I think otherwise. I know about the Mute-1-8-2-Pwr service menu, could there be an option there to enable it. Maybe they had to disable that output to maintain their HDCP license, etc, etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am trying to get it to output to a Yamaha RX-Z9, so no, I cannot just go HDMI into my receiver. I am connecting to a Directv HR10-250 HD Tivo, Xbox 360, and PS3.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
The optical output on a majority of TV's is to pass Dolby Digital from the internal ATSC tuner. Any other input would only pass stereo from the optical output. So even if you did get sound from the HDMI input, it wouldn't be Dolby Digital.

The best way to get sound to your receiver is to use the optical output from each device directly to the receiver. You would only use HDMI for video.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So basically that means I can not get audio from my xbox over HDMI to my Pioneer 5.1 system.

Because my xbox will not allow me to plug in an HDMI cable and have the video block plugged in which has the optical output at the same time. I can either have HDMI to my TV with no sound from the pioneer or use the video block plugged into my xbox going to my TV via component and use the optical output to my pioneer. Is there any other way to do it? My old TV had optical out and if I plugged in an HDMI source the audio would come out of the optical out and into my pioneer.

I can guess another work around would be having a receiver with HDMI inputs and then you wouldn't need optical.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntblu /forum/post/15006667

I can either have HDMI to my TV with no sound from the pioneer or use the video block plugged into my xbox going to my TV via component and use the optical output to my pioneer. Is there any other way to do it? My old TV had optical out and if I plugged in an HDMI source the audio would come out of the optical out and into my pioneer.

- Microsoft sells a HDMI cable with an optical output.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HDMI-.../dp/B000UODATY

I know that the Elite version comes with the optical adapter, so I believe that some people sell it on eBay also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts