AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a survey of what everyone has their HL-T6187S 61" Samsung set to.. to make the images "pop" as they say

In this case, I'm looking for this specific set.. the 61" 87S..

I've recently found movie to be too dark, colors are off.. standard and maybe even Dynamic seem to make it pop more.. including features like DNIe being ON, not off.... (Sharpness at 75)

Also.. if you use 360 via component... feel free to add those settings. Also mention whether you have "turned overscan off" either on HDMI or the component interface (xbox 360).

Feel free to chime in..

·
Registered
613 Posts
For the xbox360 I go with game mode/adventure. I know some people dont like it but it works for me especially with Rainbow 6 and some of the darker maps in the game.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are the settings I am using:

Comcast DVR HDMI:

Dynamic

Cont=87

Bright=53

Sharp=20

Color=43

Tint G52

Color Tone Normal

Digital NR = auto

DNIe=on

Active color=on

Color Gamut=RGB or WIDE

Xbox 360:

Dynamic

Cont=90

Bright=54

Sharp=20

Color=49

Tint G52

Color Tone Normal

Digital NR = auto

DNIe=on

Active color=on

Color Gamut=wide

GAME MODE=ON (brighter colors)

I find these settings to be the best so far with my setup.. 25.75" table.. 16 feet back.

I wasnt sure on the Sharpness though? I found that DNIe was night and day off/on.. so i left it on, though it makes sorta an outline to edges on analog stations at times.

*Not sure besides color what game mode is adding.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I sit about 10' away, havent really noticed any difference when pumping up the sharpness so I leave it at 0.

Also found that leaving DNIe on makes the screen look pixelated, maybe it's just me or because I sit only 10' back.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 /forum/post/11543618

I sit about 10' away, havent really noticed any difference when pumping up the sharpness so I leave it at 0.

Also found that leaving DNIe on makes the screen look pixelated, maybe it's just me or because I sit only 10' back.

Did you try doing the "demo" option for DNIe.. i did.. and at least on HD stations I thought it looked better.. but yeah.. i sit further back.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to my settings.. through comination of others settings and recalibrating..

Standard

Contrast 70

Brightness 46

Color 63 (using 58 on cable), if increased to say 65, the colors here would be close to the dynamic i think.

G51

Warm2

Black adjust set to LOW (I think I have been using Medium with Cable) Gamma +2 (using +1 on cable) Wide colors DNE on (note.. I didn’t see a huge improvement with this on, like I did with Comcast Cable) NR off

Xbox 360 on game mode.. with above numbers and DNIe turned on (actually i think i have brightness at 52 and contrast at 74)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.. another update on settings.. if anyone has any thoughts to contribute please do..

Here is what I currently use.. I'm listing all three modes, as I think they are similar.. though its kinda a toss up between Dynamic and Standard for me now.. I'm leaning towards dynamic.. Look below and see a comparison with the actual pictures and decide (from BluRay "the wild"):

Sharpness does nothing in my opinion so i leave it at 0.

Standard:

Contrast 74

Brightness 56* or 47 (see below)

Color 53

Tint G51

Color Tone Normal

Detailed Settings:

Black Adjust = Medium (see pictures for the differences)

Dynamic Constrast = off

Gamma.. right now at 0 (though I thought -1 looked good, so did +1)

White balance = off

Edge Enhancement ON (i think this added clarity, at least on BluRay discs and maybe it was movie mode only that did)

DNIe ON (definite improvement when on)

Active Color Off (if on, it adds color to blue/green)

Wide Gamut

*If DNIe is On.. brightness needs to be about 9 points higher based on calibration results

Dynamic: (my favorite)

Contrast 73

Brightness 56* or 47 (see reason above) *update.. i now use about 61 for comcast DVR, shows the folds in dark clothing much better*

Color 53

Tint G52

Color Normal

DNIe On

Active color Off

Wide color gamut

Movie: (never really use)

Contrast 78

Brightness 56* (or47)

color 57

Tint G51

Color Normal

Detailed settings:

Black adjust medium

Dyn. contrast off

Gamma +1

White balance 0

Edge On (here is where i think i really saw the benefit in this mode)

Wide colors

**Note that for BluRay discs.. I felt that the Black adjust was better on Low than medium, because you lost detail, but if left on Medium for Comcast HD, it reduced background/black noise

Xbox 360:

Game Mode-Standard

Contrast 75

Brightness 50-61

Color 51

Tint G51

Color Tone Normal

DNIe On

Wide color gamut

See the next post for pictures to compare some of these features...:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dynamic:

Standard:

Movie:

Standard (edge off):

Standard (edge on):

Standard (black adjustment at OFF): (note how you can see more of the arch in greater detail, but adds noise on some stations)

Standard (black adjustment at MEDIUM):

Standard (black adjustment at LOW):

·
Registered
67 Posts
I went with the settings developed by Jarrod -

mode: movie

contrast: 75

brightness: 47

sharpness: 0

color: 48

tint: R50/G50

color tone: warm1

black adj: off

dynamic contrast: low

gamma: 0

white balance: 0

edge enhancement: off

digital nr: off

color gamut: wide

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamabart /forum/post/12278280

I went with the settings developed by Jarrod -

mode: movie

contrast: 75

brightness: 47

sharpness: 0

black adj: off

dynamic contrast: low

digital nr: off

I never found movie mode to be quite right.. dynamic or standard always looked alot better to me.

These dynamic settings http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11635256 are my favorite.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am going to be purchasing a 50" DLP Samsung. I have a question however about the difference in models. The HL-T5089S and HL-T5076S seem to be identical, but one is 500-1000 dollars more. I understand there is a difference in the Color wheel, but I dont understand what that difference is and if it is even noticable. I will be using this TV for hd purpose including; digital cable, xbox 360, HD DVD's, and Laptop. I want to make sure that I choose the TV that is best for my compnents. Could someone please let me know what the difference is in detail? Thank you.

-Shane

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker /forum/post/12966366

I'd say that "Movie" mode along with "Warm1" seems way more natural..

Well.. notice how you lose some definition and sharpness with movie mode compared to dynamic though? IE: the squirrels chest hairs are more blurry and less defined.. the colors and images also dont pop as much to me at least.. I've had all 3 set and switched back and forth.. i always found myself going back to Dynamic mode though.

Since then i've actually tweaked the gamma in the service menu from a 4 to a 5.. consequently the values are little different than before.. ill post them soon though.

The general gist of going to a gamma of 5.. was that for my dvd player, i found a 46 on brightness to be ideal.. my brightness on the dvr also came down a little.. i think its around 59 now, while the contrast values are still similar or a little higher (avg of about 88).. Ill post the complete set soon.

I must also add, that after i had my halo issue fixed, i thought i had sharpness issues.. but after these adjustments its looking superb, in fact, a friend has an older sony 2000 series LCOS.. and after seeing his then seeing mine, its like night and day, this LED just blows it away both on color and clarity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a HLT 6176 and was playing around with the settings for it last night.

The strange thing is that the setting changes I make don't seem to save. If i set it to movie and make a few tweaks, i turn off the TV and turn it back on and it shows the preset of Dynamic and even if i go back to movie the tweaks don't stay.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to save the settings somehow or should they just stay on their own?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
WOW... just... WOW. Its like I am at a movie theatre now. Eliab at Avical is worth more than he charges. Besides extracting the best possible picture from my TV, the education he gave me was worth the price alone. He is very direct and blunt, and I appreciate that very much. He explained things in a way that I could understand without dumbing it down so much that I felt like an idiot. If you can catch him, or his partner on a tour, I highly recommend it for these TVs. He maneuvered through my TVs menus and settings like he wrote them. I never realized just how out of whack my TV really was until he came here. I must of heard "you were wrong on this setting" about a dozen times.
Basically, my TV started way out in left field at a color temp of 9600K. When it was all said and done, it was at a perfect 6500K. That said, I am going to give you my user menu settings, but as someone pointed out earlier, they probably aren't going to do you any good compared to any others without accessing the service menu settings. That is the key. And, there are a million tweaks and ajustments in that service menu that needs done, and every TV is different. I do not know what all was changed, but it was a lot. So, here is what we came up with for user level settings after the service menu was calibrated.

Movie Mode

Brightness = 45

Contrast = 90

Color = 45

Tint = G43/R57

DNIe = off

sRGB color gamut (he calibrated wide too, but said there is nothing to use it for yet, and that he would let us know when its time to use it.)

All other options stock settings. Particulary gamma. His thoughts on gamma are, and I quote; "People that adjust gamma from 0 are just wrong." So thats that.

Anyway, like I said without the service menu settings these probably don't look like anything else thats out there. So, I recommend it if you can. Avical is the only calibration service that I know that specialized in sammy DLPs. Our TVs, if mine is anything to compare to, are way way out of whack from the factory. He did say mine was one of the worse he started with so maybe yours is better off. He also said that for a fact, the 6187SAX has the 89 firmware. He was actually shocked by what he saw at first.

Well if there are any other questions, let me know.

Justin

·
Registered
532 Posts
mode: Dynamic

contrast: 90

brightness: 50

sharpness: 10

black adj: Auto

dynamic contrast: Med

digital nr: Auto

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

The above shot is Movie mode @ these:

Contrast 70

Brightness 46

Sharpness 20

Color 47

Tint R45/G55

Tone normal

Gamut sRGB

Digital NR off

detailed settings:

Black Adjust off

Dynamic Contrast low

Gamma 0

White Balance 0

My Color Control Pink 17, Green 15 Blue 15

Edge Enhance On (it does so gentle a sharpening, I don't even think its actually "EE", but I like it, whatever it does - Movie mode is a bit soft without it)

I can't imagine this tv after a pro calibration, must be outta this world!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts