AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original lamp burned out after just over 3 years of use in July. I found a proper replacement via ebay using the lamp code bp96-01653a. The set started working again and that lamp burnt out in September sometime. I replaced it with the "same" bulb but with one directly from the samsung parts site. That one burnt out a few days ago.

A TV repair man I spoke with on the phone suggested in might be the ballast. Should I replace the ballast and get a new bulb? Is it likely to be some other problem? Should I just get a new TV?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3a /forum/post/19631137

The original lamp burned out after just over 3 years of use in July. I found a proper replacement via ebay using the lamp code bp96-01653a. The set started working again and that lamp burnt out in September sometime. I replaced it with the "same" bulb but with one directly from the samsung parts site. That one burnt out a few days ago.

A TV repair man I spoke with on the phone suggested in might be the ballast. Should I replace the ballast and get a new bulb? Is it likely to be some other problem? Should I just get a new TV?

Any help is much appreciated.

Could be the ballast is doing it. Whether to replace the ballast or not depends on how attached to the tv you are. The ballast is not that much, actually cheaper than another lamp. Replacing ballasts is one of the easier jobs on a tv.

If you haven't replaced a color wheel yet, that would be the next thing to go. Could happen tomorrow, could last another three years.

Make sure you buy quality lamps though, either from Samsung or a Philips from a reputable dealer. I assume you understand that turning it on and off a lot is hard on lamps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts