AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing weeks of reseach, and tons of searching on the forums, I still just cannot make my decision about which tv to buy for the family... all things considered (that means price as well).

Here is the situation, our old Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD is kicking the dust. I am no technician, but we've sunk a decent amount of money into repairing the thing over the course of the past 2 years but it still seems to overheat (picture and sound disappear, but the set stays on).

I'm a big fan of the DLPs... have been ever since I first saw them back in 03. That being said, I cannot decide which Samsung to pick up.

We want to downgrade in size from our old tv. If the 750 came in 56" or 50", I would have one in the living room already. Prices for the 6series tv's are unbelievably attractive (1100 for the 56 and 900 for the 50), and they fit the bill size-wise. However, I do not want to overlook the advances of the 61" 7series. Right now, I would be able to pick up the HL61A750 for 1600 or so.

Long story short, with overall value being STRONGLY taken into account, is the 7series REALLY worth it over the 6?

Also, what type of picture quality should I expect when compared to our 7 year old pioneer (which was the absolute top of the line when it came out, but is gigantic).

(I apologize in advance for this being my first post... I've been lurking for a long while but never really needed to post until today)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The HL61A750 can be had at Crutchfield right now for $1299.99 with free shipping. Samsung is also offering a $200 gift card for the NFL Shop with the purchase of a TV $1000 and up. I just order my 750 two days ago.

After owning a Light bulb based Sony SXRD TV, I would not go back. After a few years my bulb is dimming and I have to keep changing settings to get it brighter. This will not be an issue with an LED light.

So from my experiencing I would say go with the LED based 750.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, the 750 is on its way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD123 /forum/post/15553219

The HL61A750 can be had at Crutchfield right now for $1299.99 with free shipping. Samsung is also offering a $200 gift card for the NFL Shop with the purchase of a TV $1000 and up. I just order my 750 two days ago.

After owning a Light bulb based Sony SXRD TV, I would not go back. After a few years my bulb is dimming and I have to keep changing settings to get it brighter. This will not be an issue with an LED light.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfmeng22 /forum/post/15552898

...Long story short, with overall value being STRONGLY taken into account, is the 7series REALLY worth it over the 6?...

Personally I'd say no. The A650 is an amazing HDTV and a real bargain, especially if you need a smaller screen. We are completely satisfied with our HL56A650.

And on a level playing ground comparing the HL61A650 and HL61A750, they both have advantages and disadvantages so it's pretty hard to go wrong with either. You have to decide if the extra cost is worth it and how long you expect to keep the set before jumping on tomorrow's superior models (maybe even just a couple years down the road).

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The 750 series has a 120HZ refresh rate which is better for Blu-ray 24HZ movies. The 750 also is capable of 3D. Plus over the life of the set you save money on electricity and about 10 bulbs.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD123 /forum/post/15553219

Since you did own a Sony RP how would you compare the viewing angle withe the 750. I've read it is not good as plasma, but i don't want to sit on rthe side of the tv to watch it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/15555688

The 750 series has a 120HZ refresh rate which is better for Blu-ray 24HZ movies. The 750 also is capable of 3D. Plus over the life of the set you save money on electricity and about 10 bulbs.

I thought that 120Hz was for 3D use only, and the set is just 60Hz normally

·
Registered
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/15555688

The A650 has the same specs and not many people would put 10 bulbs in a DLP before upgrading to newer technology. Using Crutchfield's figures of 6 hours of daily use at 10 cents per KWH the HL61A650 would cost about $6.70 more a year to operate than the HL61A750. That makes both pretty green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/15559244

I thought that 120Hz was for 3D use only, and the set is just 60Hz normally

I believe that's correct, Plex. However motion blur is not a problem with DLPs like it is with 60Hz LCDs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts