1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically when you display the test grid:
http://psleng.dyndns.org/files/tv_test/grid.jpg

Is there anyone who doesn't come up with some version of this result:

(These pictures are turls but they illustrate the problem very well)

Reading this post suggests that this is inherent in all sets.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15557138
Quote:
There is VERY noticeable convergence error, primarily in the left side of the display. The tech that came by today called Samsung and they told him that this was a design issue with all their LED-based sets (!!), and that it was operating "properly".

Anyone find this NOT to be true?

Do you have a picture to confirm there are properly adjusted sets coming from the factory? I'm starting to feel a little disillusioned in that my first set had a slight convergence error but decent geometry but a distinct green top line during lighter scenes in movies (didn't matter bluray or DVD ) and confirmed in 2 different players on different HDMI ports.

So I exchanged the TV for a newer one (had firmware 1007.1) and this one had worse convergence and visible geometry errors.

Anyone have proof this is NOT the case with them?

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had my heart set on the 65A750 until I noticed this on the floor model at CC. It was quite noticeable from 13', which is my normal viewing distance. I then when to two local BB's and saw the same thing each time. In the end I decided to go with the 73" Mits solely because of this issue. I'll be interested to see if anyone owns, or has even seen one that was converged properly. Either way, I hope those of you with this find some solution.

-Thomas

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been having convergence issues with my HL61A750. When I first got my T.V., I could only see that the green was off if I was within a few inches of the screen. A couple of months ago, I began to notice it from my couch which is about 7 feet away. I called Samsung and they referred me to a repair center around here. The guy came and looked at it and he said he didn't know what could be causing it but he would call Samsung. I just got a call today that my parts came in and tomorrow they are coming to my house to fix it. I'll let you all know what parts they replace and if it did the trick. Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

It's really only noticeable around white images/text against a darker background.

I am going to ask him what may have caused this (such as a component overheating and going out of tolerance, maybe it was defective from the beginning, etc.) and hopefully this won't happen again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 61A750 and I think it's about to go back to Amazon. It has geometry issues that are just not acceptable to me. I just don't know if they're all like this??

Brad

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveryo /forum/post/15566157

I have been having convergence issues with my HL61A750. When I first got my T.V., I could only see that the green was off if I was within a few inches of the screen. A couple of months ago, I began to notice it from my couch which is about 7 feet away. I called Samsung and they referred me to a repair center around here. The guy came and looked at it and he said he didn't know what could be causing it but he would call Samsung. I just got a call today that my parts came in and tomorrow they are coming to my house to fix it. I'll let you all know what parts they replace and if it did the trick. Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

It's really only noticeable around white images/text against a darker background.

I am going to ask him what may have caused this (such as a component overheating and going out of tolerance, maybe it was defective from the beginning, etc.) and hopefully this won't happen again.

Yes please report back with pictures if you can. I'd be very interested to hear if the replacement part fixed the issue and what that part was.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit373 /forum/post/15580637

Yes please report back with pictures if you can. I'd be very interested to hear if the replacement part fixed the issue and what that part was.

Well apparently I missed my "appointment". Thursday night they said they would call me sometime after 9A.M. (very specific
). So during work on Friday, I have my phone with me at all times. I stepped away from my desk at 11:20 (I figured if it was really going to be in the A.M., they would have called by then) for about 20 min and when i came back, there was a missed call with a voicemail. He was outside my door at like 11:40A.M. so I tried calling, no answer. I went home (work is very close to home) and no one was there. I guess I just missed him by a few minutes. I left a voicemail but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure they will re-schedule for either Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twsnnva /forum/post/15565121

I had my heart set on the 65A750 until I noticed this on the floor model at CC. It was quite noticeable from 13', which is my normal viewing distance. I then when to two local BB's and saw the same thing each time. In the end I decided to go with the 73" Mits solely because of this issue. I'll be interested to see if anyone owns, or has even seen one that was converged properly. Either way, I hope those of you with this find some solution.

-Thomas

2 worths BIG MISTAKE

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am beginning to think this is common with all of the newer tech RPTVs. My JVC 61FH97 has the same convergence problem (its an LCoS). I thought convergence was supposed to be a non-issue with these technologies. I have also noticed this is prevalent with SXRD and DLP based tvs. I was really hoping to get a 67A750. Yeah well, I guess I'll just wait for the next great technology to come along (or buy a Kuro when they get to 65"+ @

John

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Convergence is not a problem with the bulb based DLP sets since their is only one light source. However some of these bulb based sets can have geometry issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/15611018

Convergence is not a problem with the bulb based DLP sets since their is only one light source. However some of these bulb based sets can have geometry issues.

I don't think this is so much a geometry issue that is being discussed. It concerns LED DLP's. It may be an alignment issue or just something inherent in the technology (as stated above).

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit373 /forum/post/15611900

I don't think this is so much a geometry issue that is being discussed. It concerns LED DLP's. It may be an alignment issue or just something inherent in the technology (as stated above).

Any source thaat has more than one light source is subject to convergence problems. It could be the optics or the exact positionong to wach light source, I have two Samsung LED sets (61" and 67") they bost have very slight convergence issues but they are different. I assume it is manufacturing tolerances.

·
Registered
732 Posts
First let me say that I know some are really having this problem and some are not. This is just one more thing to look for:

I received my HL67 on Monday. After some initial calibration I watched a variety of content to see how things looked. I began to suspect I had a convergence issue as I could see a red bleed on high contrast items. For example, the lines on the tennis court for the Australian Open matches going on. I also noticed the red bleed in a movie where a person was wearing a black overcoat (red bleed over the shoulder area).

Yesterday morning (Tue) when I turned on the set to watch the news while I ate breakfast, there was no convergence error present, period. I assumed from this that the set had to fully warm up before the problem was present.

At lunch, I let the set warm up while I finished up some stuff on my PC and then walked into the living area to see what I could see. Sure enough, there were some red bleed issues on the tennis court lines again. While I was adjusting various settings to see if they had any effect, I noticed the problem was variable based on how my head was angled to the TV. Suspecting something with my glasses, I removed them (prescription bi-focals) and put on a set of weak reading glasses that I use for TV viewing. The bleed dissappeared (I also had these on in the morning). I put my prescription glasses back on and the problem re-appeared. I found that if I looked directly at the TV with no horizontal or vertical error in the position of my head, then the picture was pristine. Any horizontal or vertical angle change of my head made the bleed show up. I believe my glasses are acting like a prism and splitting out the red to one side. I have never noticed this with my CRT based RPTV, but I also haven't been looking as critically as now while evaluating a new set.

The photos in the beginning of this thread clearly show a convergence issue, but this is something else. Someone mentioned seeing the convergence problems in the store on all the Samsung LED DLP sets. I wonder if they wear glasses. I also wonder if this is an anomaly only present with the LED sets.

Now that I have that resolved, I'll put some test patterns up and see if my actaul convergence is any better or worse than the photos above. I did have the AVIA HDDVD disk in and went through the various test patterns on it and did not notice a convergence issue with those. Anyway, I'll thow a pattern up and photograph it for posting here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
I have looked at a good dozen sets and you will see some convergence issues on all of them. What you want to look for is none at the center of the image as this is about as good as it gets (and what Samsung looks for). As you go out towards the sides of the image the sets inherit design will cause some.

Worse case should be one pixel worth which in most cases won't cause you to see fringing at normal viewing distances. That's my barometer if I saw fringing in the set's menu text I wasn't happy.

Some of it is based on the optical block and some on the cabinet itself (how square the mirror and screen are). Again if you can clearly see fringing that's when I'd call Samsung... it might not be fun but eventually you should win.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark /forum/post/15614011

First let me say that I know some are really having this problem and some are not. This is just one more thing to look for:

I received my HL67 on Monday. After some initial calibration I watched a variety of content to see how things looked. I began to suspect I had a convergence issue as I could see a red bleed on high contrast items. For example, the lines on the tennis court for the Australian Open matches going on. I also noticed the red bleed in a movie where a person was wearing a black overcoat (red bleed over the shoulder area).

Yesterday morning (Tue) when I turned on the set to watch the news while I ate breakfast, there was no convergence error present, period. I assumed from this that the set had to fully warm up before the problem was present.

At lunch, I let the set warm up while I finished up some stuff on my PC and then walked into the living area to see what I could see. Sure enough, there were some red bleed issues on the tennis court lines again. While I was adjusting various settings to see if they had any effect, I noticed the problem was variable based on how my head was angled to the TV. Suspecting something with my glasses, I removed them (prescription bi-focals) and put on a set of weak reading glasses that I use for TV viewing. The bleed dissappeared (I also had these on in the morning). I put my prescription glasses back on and the problem re-appeared. I found that if I looked directly at the TV with no horizontal or vertical error in the position of my head, then the picture was pristine. Any horizontal or vertical angle change of my head made the bleed show up. I believe my glasses are acting like a prism and splitting out the red to one side. I have never noticed this with my CRT based RPTV, but I also haven't been looking as critically as now while evaluating a new set.

The photos in the beginning of this thread clearly show a convergence issue, but this is something else. Someone mentioned seeing the convergence problems in the store on all the Samsung LED DLP sets. I wonder if they wear glasses. I also wonder if this is an anomaly only present with the LED sets.

Now that I have that resolved, I'll put some test patterns up and see if my actaul convergence is any better or worse than the photos above. I did have the AVIA HDDVD disk in and went through the various test patterns on it and did not notice a convergence issue with those. Anyway, I'll thow a pattern up and photograph it for posting here.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Roger,

Thanks for the detailed info.

How far to the sides or up/down did you have to move your head from dead center before the bleeding becomes visible?

And at what distance is this sitting position of yours?...

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/15614182

I have looked at a good dozen sets and you will see some convergence issues on all of them. What you want to look for is none at the center of the image as this is about as good as it gets (and what Samsung looks for). As you go out towards the sides of the image the sets inherit design will cause some.

Worse case should be one pixel worth which in most cases won't cause you to see fringing at normal viewing distances. That's my barometer if I saw fringing in the set's menu text I wasn't happy.

Some of it is based on the optical block and some on the cabinet itself (how square the mirror and screen are). Again if you can clearly see fringing that's when I'd call Samsung... it might not be fun but eventually you should win.

What do you mean by 'fringing in the set's menu text...'?

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude /forum/post/15614233

Roger,

Thanks for the detailed info.

How far to the sides or up/down did you have to move your head from dead center before the bleeding becomes visible?

And at what distance is this sitting position of yours?...

I could not move my head more than 3 or 4 degrees from the horizontal and no more than 1 degree vertical. I could not watch TV like this... It would appear that I have very picky glasses

Seating position is 13ft.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Charles R-What pattern are you using for the grid on your 61A750? If my set has geometry like yours, I will be a happy camper. My set won't be delivered until Monday. It's interesting to see that close to perfect geometry is indeed possible on these sets.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts