AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out on my own... so I could use a little help.

I picked up a Samsung HL72A650 from a guy off Craigslist who said the TV didn't work and didn't know why. He was just looking to get rid of it. So I think, hmm, okay. Free 72" TV... can't be too hard to figure out, right? Surely a lamp or color wheel problem.

Before I go tearing into it, I'd like to narrow down my hunt. Here's what happens:

• Plug TV in and turn it on using the front Power button
  • There is a "click" (like you'd hear from any other TV, sounds like the lamp switch or something)
  • The startup jingle plays... everything seems to be going normal...
  • The "lamp" light on the front blinks for 10+ seconds
  • Another click, then another click in quick succession ('click---click')
  • The "lamp" light on the front blinks for 10+ seconds again
  • Repeat clicking / blinking interchange for about a minute until...
  • All three lights on the front blink, indicating a bad lamp

All the while, there is no picture on the screen. No light at all. The screen is totally dead. I have replaced the lamp, and the exact same problem persists. So, it's not that.

Unfortunately, I didn't own the TV and so I wasn't there to see it struggling to keep working. Not sure if it just died like this one day, or if there was a regression in brightness/color/etc. But, I figure I'd be able to narrow it down. What can be ruled out? Would a bad color wheel cause this problem? Bad capacitors?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you replaced the lamp, next step would be to replace the ballast. Lights on the front indicate the power supply seems okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.