AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So the problem with my dip is that it flickers while a still image is present. What I mean by this is that the colors don't flip. In fact, the colors are represented accurately. However, I can tell that the color wheel is moving when a still image is present. Is this truly a color wheel problem? 

Also, the color wheel for this model is no longer in production and I can't find it anywhere :( I can't find 

BP96-02069A and BP61-01193A. Are there any other color wheel models that would work with this TV?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Doesn't sound like a color wheel issue. If it were the wheel the colors would be off no matter what, or the TV would have no picture. It sounds more like a lamp or ballast problem to me.

Have you replaced the lamp with a non-OEM? I recently replaced the lamp on my HL-R5078w and came across several reviewers on Amazon who mentioned having flickering problems a few months after they bought non-OEM lamps. Does does the problem happen in all modes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I did use a non-OEM bulb (only 1 week old), but I don't think that it is the problem since it looks like it doesn't flicker from the back of the television? The flicker happens in all modes. I'll upload a video of how it "flickers" but here is a sample picture. Normal for a DLP set? Maybe, can dust affect the wheel?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dust can stick to it, but dust on the wheel isn't usually a problem. There would have to be a lot of dust or very large pieces of debris on the wheel to notice it on the screen.

Can you try a different lamp or put your old lamp back in to test it? If the problem started after you replaced the lamp, I'd bet that's the problem. I have yet to hear of a non-OEM lamp that wasn't complete crap or didn't fade or blow out early. It's worth the extra money to get OEM IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you all for your help :) It's almost up an running again. 

Arklier: You were right, the lamp was bad. I will never buy a non-genuine lamp again. But I am so surprised cause one of my friends has a non-genuine lamp and that works perfectly. When I put that in my TV, the flicker automatically stopped. Its really surprising how the lamp from the back of the TV doesn't even look like its flickering but in actuality it is. The lamp is definetly going to be returned :) I am soooooo glad that the color wheel is strong :)

I'm on a tight budget for the lamp, so I don't want to spend $130 on it (Price from Samsung parts store). The maximum I will spend is $100. I have the old "genuine" lamp housing, but the bulb does not work. Should I just buy the bare bulb and install it in the housing or buy an entire new lamp assembly. So far I am thinking of buying this lamp:  http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bp96-01600a-dlp-replacement-lamp.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you all for your help :) It's almost up an running again. 

Arklier: You were right, the lamp was bad. I will never buy a non-genuine lamp again. But I am so surprised cause one of my friends has a non-genuine lamp and that works perfectly. When I put that in my TV, the flicker automatically stopped. 

I'm on a tight budget for the lamp, so I don't want to spend $140 on it. The maximum I will spend is $100. I have the old "genuine" lamp housing, but the bulb does not work. Should I just buy the bare bulb and install it in the housing or buy an entire new lamp assembly. So far I am thinking of buying the lamp from shop jimmy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts