AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect to be purchasing a Samsung HLK506W set for my bedroom in the coming couple of weeks?

May I get any pro and con comments from those that own it or those that have avoided the unit for a particular reason please?

Thanks in advance. Rick

------------------

The Proceeding Message Was Brought To You By Some Yutz Who Thinks He Knows Something. Ignore At Will.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow! For a normally verbose crew the silence is deafening. IT IS a new unit or it is roundly hated by all...

Hrm.

I'll pump one more day or so of life into this by ammending--anyone seen and liked the unit?

rick

------------------

Rick Raymo,

Knucklehead Extraordinaire

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Just wanted to say I saw the 42" version at the Ultimate Electronics in Albuquerque before Thanksgiving and I was not too impressed. I hope they improved it. I would seriously want to see the unit before buying one. A rear-projection HDTV will give you richer colors and more detail. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They shipped on June 1st (so anything you saw in April was the EDTV LCD from last year) ..and are 40 and 50" versions...with 780P and much improved LCD tech and much improved upscan for lower res sources...

I had seen the previous as well, and was not impressed--these on the other hand are pretty compelling...

Rick

------------------

Rick Raymo,

Knucklehead Extraordinaire

·
Registered
628 Posts
Rick,

I have been interested in this set also. Several people on the forum have seen this set at trade shows, and while a few have given it favorable reviews, others have said they were not impressed (washed out colors, poor black levels, etc). In any event, I haven't seen any reviews of the actual production model, so the jury is still out. I plan to wait until the RCA LCOS set comes out, and then compare it to the Samsung. The comments that I have seen on the RCA have been consistently favorable. Again, since this set has not been released yet, these are from people who have seen the set at trade shows. If you search the forum for "Samsung fLCD" and "RCA LCOS", you'll find a fair number of comments on these sets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.