AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 437 for three days now, and overall it has an incredible picture after tweaking it a bit.

However, using Avia, I am unable to get the set to display the 10 IRE grey window (or the last bat in the grey scale tests) without increasing the brightness to 68+, at which point the moving 'white' bars in the contrast test are undetectible. Decreasing brightness to 55 or so allows the 'white' bars to barely reappear (if they weren't moving, they would still be invisible).

I have my contrast at 85, and if I increase it to 100, I can see the 10 IRE window/bar at around 65 brightness, but again, the 'white' bars in the contrast test aren't visible.

Oddly enough, I can see both black bars easily when the main (not service) menu is on the screen, because of the grey overlay that appears behind it.

I am using the DVD (480i/480p) input from my Samsung DVD-N2000 player outputting a 480i signal, and have tried increasing the S_CT(DDP) value from 120 to 128 (and beyond) which, despite making a difference in the brightness of the visible grey fields, seems to have little effect on making the 10 IRE grey visible at anything below 65+ brightness.

Is there another setting I can adjust? Since it isn't a progressive signal, I cannot increase the Y_GAIN or Y_OFFSET. Also, increasing the R, G, and B offsets equally doesn't seem like a 'proper' solution.

Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? I mean, even dark movies (like Dark City and Pitch Black) look excellent; I'm not even seeing that slightly 'green' tint that other are experiencing. However, I can't help but think that I'll be missing something without that 10 IRE capability.

My set is running firmware revision 109.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I'm sure someone can give a more thorough explanation, but to start with, AVIA was designed with analog sets in mind. . .. . . and by analog I include HD CRT sets . . .

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls

[B AVIA was designed with analog sets in mind. . .. . . [/b]
Now you tell me!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.