AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this set a steal at 2900.00? What are the negatives about the DLP technology? I am also considering an HD530 Pioneer Elite, which way should I go?

thanks for any input:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
It is a great deal (I assume it is new and under manufacturer warranty). Check out all the Samsung DLP threads for other information. Make sure you have a day or so to check out all the information on the 507 here :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where can you get the 507W for $2900?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get the HLM507W for 2900.00 from one of our suppliers. My account rep is giving me a deal.

At this price, is the Samsung a good buy or should I still consider the Pioneer Elite HD530?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Advance, have not heard from you for awhile, hope all is well.

We got the 507W in the PB for about $3,200 (forgot the exact price). The list price at Sound Advice had gone up $200 during the December/January time to $4,199. I don't know what it is now, but I think $2,900 is a great price.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
3169 was the PB price. If you are looking for a HDTV and like the set, I don't see any reason not to get it. 2900 is a great price.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I've seen an HLM507 for $3,900 where you could get another $200 off that price. It was marked as a closeout. The display model was and early one built in September. I don't know what the build date was on the "new" stock.

The largest dealer in our area still shows a sticker price of $4,199 with $200 discounts easy to get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
rixter67,

I picked up my 507 for $2900, too - also directly from a distributer, through a friend. My only concern was how ugly of a situation it might become if I was dissatisfied with the set, not through a malfunction of the set, but through an inherent issue with the technology (rainbows, SD PQ, etc.). The guy did me a favor with a killer price at the time and I'd hate to have turned around and said 'Nah, I don't like DLP, take it back'. These issues with DLPs are well documented in these forums, as well as the benefits (only 80lbs, good viewing angle, no burn-in, aside from lamp life quality should not degrade over time, etc.)

So I researched it extensively and went to several stores to view their display models and felt it was worth the risk. Fortunately, it worked out for me and am very happy with my 507. You should definitely consider the return policy before making your decision on the DLP. I was very stressed out for weeks until the set arrived and put all my concerns to rest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brownsfan, that is the only drawback, I wouldn't be able to return just because "I don't like it". The warranty still applies though. Do you subscribe to cable or satellite??

How much did you have to tweak it out of the box for a great looking picture? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kosha, not sure if that one is available. Is this a new set?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rixter67
Kosha, not sure if that one is available. Is this a new set?
It's Samsung's 61" DLP set.

I think you are getting an excellent price just because its an 'HLM', not the newer HLN's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
rixter67, out of the box - I found that my cable looked much better than I expected after reading many reports in these forums (more on this in a second), and I found the DVD PQ to be disappointing, as I had been expecting to be blown away. I had read enough to know that a little tweaking would produce significant results and, as I had hoped, once the Gamma and B* values were set to 0, I was able to sit back and enjoy. Please note that I received a ver111 507, I haven't been following the newer model tweaks too closely, so you may need to do your own research once you know what version it is.

Now regarding my cable (Cablevision, BTW). I had plain analog cable at the time and was very satisfied with the quality, almost impressed. I've since "upgraded" to their digital package so I can get HBO-HD, MSG-HD, and FSNY-HD (just in time for the playoffs, woohoo!). Well, since the upgrade this weekend, I find that my PQ has become quite horrible. HBO-HD is too dark to really enjoy. I will reserve judgement on the HD sports PQ until I see it. However all other channels are a little darker and extremely grainy. Much worse than before. From what I'm told, the lower 99 channels are still analog, but they appear to have degraded significantly. I have them coming back Friday to check the signal strength and the new connections they added. If it doesn't help, then I'll try DirectTV after the playoffs. Again, the PQ of my cable prior to this week was more than acceptable.

kosha, my friend's installation company doesn't normally deal with DLP's, but as a favor to me he asked his boss to "hook me up". I can ask him about the 61", but I know he doesn't want to bother his boss again. After all, I don't think they (my friend's company) made much of a profit on me and might not be inclined to start quoting me discount prices for another set. However, if I do hear something, I will pass it along just to give an idea of the distributer's price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.