AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy the 60 inch Samsung DLP. On Samsung's website, the model number shown is HLM617W but at P.C. Richard's they only have model number HLN617W which they assure me is the exact same thing. They said the N designation refers to the sets sold by their stores. Can anyone verify that's the case and that the M designation doesn't refer to the most current model coming out? At this time I don't want to get last year's model. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
The N is the most current model (N comes after M).

The M is the model introduced in 2002. The N is this year's model that started shipping in March. Other than different firmware revisions, the M and N are the same.

If you buy the HLN617W make sure it has at least version 214 of the firmware. It's the earliest firmware version to have discrete codes that you'll need if you want to program remote macros to directly select specific video inputs. As of now the latest firmware version (that I know of) is v306.

BTW: it's a great TV. I have a HLM617W I bought in Febriuary that has been upgraded with the newer v214 firmware.

Dean

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Were you looking at the samsung.com site or samsungusa.com? For some reason, the International site has the 'old stuff' on it. The current models are definitely 'N'. I'm looking at a 61 myself!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much. This is great information and you were all correct. I went to the samsungusa site and they show the N model. How do I know for sure which firmware vesion I'm getting. I don't have much faith in what the salespeople tell me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, will this set need to be calibrated? And, if so, do I get the name from the same sites being recommended elsewhere on this site? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gbtrust
Thanks very much. This is great information and you were all correct. I went to the samsungusa site and they show the N model. How do I know for sure which firmware vesion I'm getting. I don't have much faith in what the salespeople tell me. Thanks again.
You may want to check out the Samsung HLN guide (see my signature). It has a model and firmware history table. It also tells you how to get into the service menu on page 20. When you get into the service menu, the number at the bottom of the sceen should read something like "T-B3K6701-214". The last 3 digits are the firmware number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.