AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a nubie here and just purchased a HLN5065W and have a question regarding build dates and firmware.

I have gained a lot of info from this forum, what a wealth of knowledge. My Sammy 5065 was released in Dec 2002 with version 204 firmware. Picture looks really good in all formats, DVD, regular NTSC cable, Time Warner, but do not have HD cable or antenna yet. Set the gamma to 0 and it really improved the clay faces and shadow banding.

I am confused on the firmware. I've read it is as high as version 300 something. Is the latest firmware the best and when was it released? I have the opportunity to return the set and get a brand new 5065W, bought mine as floor model from Best Buy two weeks ago and they will let me return it for new. Also, does Sansumg let users download firmware and up-date themselves?

Is it worth it to get the new set with a much later release date. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you can get a new one for an even exchange I would do it. Your floor model probably had a fair number of hours on the bulb. Plus, if you get a newer model you will have discrete codes (which may not matter to you). These allow a programmable remote to select the TV input directly, rather than going through the TV/Video on screen menu. I.e. the remote can be programmed to go directly to DVI, Component 1, etc. Some people really like this as they have programmable remotes that they use to setup macros that their life easier. So, they can program a button that will turn the DVD player on, set the TV to component 1, the Receiver to DVD Audio, and send the play command to the DVD player.

Your version of firmware does not allow selecting inputs directly with a remote. The only way you can get this is to have a digital board replaced. Samsung was offering a deal to do this for $200, but enrollment has passed. You can't get new firmware any other way (as of now).

But, if you are happy with your TV, swapping may not be worth the risk or hassle.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
I would swap if it isn't too much money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did the swap and the new set has version 302. But now I notice a pronounced fan noise that did not seem to be in the old, floor model set. Also, noticed the reflection in the bottom corner that I did not notice on the old set. But then again, I may have not been looking for it in the right place. Do some have this reflection problem and some don't? It seems almost impossible to me that the sets can vary that much. Also, I have not had the time to tweek any of the settings. Hopefully some tweeks will help.

Other then the discrete remote, dose the newer firmware do anything else?

Thanks, Steve

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toogos
Do some have this reflection problem and some don't? It seems almost impossible to me that the sets can vary that much. Thanks, Steve
Some owners notice more reflections than other owners are able to notice. There is no tweak for reflections. You either notice them or you don't. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can someone confirm that 507w and 5065w are same internally and both have that Fradojia chip for film pull down? Apperently no one near where I live can tell me that they are same.,.... circite city nor the best buy. People... they all go to Samsungusa.com.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would go with new DLP with newer firmware... you are speding too much money (in 3-4K) range....it is simply not worth it to compromise. DLP at my local stores are always on... you know what that means.... less bulb hours...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.