AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my HLN617W and got it all set up and I love it. Just had some simple questions to get the most out of my new TV: how do I find out what my firmware version is? If my firmware is not the most current version, should I consider having it upgraded? And if I need to upgrade the firmware, what do I need to say to get it taken care of and covered under warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple of other questions: I have a Samsing HD tuner (don't know the model right now, but its their DirectTV HD tuner that also receives OTA HD signals, and has a DVI out) and I'm using OTA and the DVI out into my TV. When I set the output on the tuner to 720p, the picture is all messed up (only fills the middle third of the screen, and is bordered by strange digitized bars). When set to 1080i, the picture is stunning, but there is still about an inch on either side of the screen not being used. And, I can't change the aspect ratio while using DVI, so when viewing analog channels throught the tuner, they are stretched out to fill the screen. And lastly, which firmware versions offer discrete codes.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Firmware versions 214 and later offer the discreet codes. You can probably search these threads for "discreet codes" or "samsung service menu" to find out how to check your version, though you should be warned that Samsung will void your warranty if they find out that you have enetered the Service Menu for any reason (at least one person has run into this already). Supposedly, all sets currently being shipped have the latest firmware by default, but it would be nice to know for sure.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dolfo
... you should be warned that Samsung will void your warranty if they find out that you have enetered the Service Menu for any reason (at least one person has run into this already). Supposedly, all sets currently being shipped have the latest firmware by default, but it would be nice to know for sure.
Samsung so far has done nothing to find out if you have entered the SM. The cases (two that I know of) where if came up the owner called Samsung and told them they had been in the SM which triggered the "cooperate" official response. In one of those cases Samsung reversed their decision. In the second case I think that was still a possibility.

The firmware version is the last three digits of the long ID at the bottom of the SM page.

Remember that in any dealing with Samsung you are not supposed to know your firmware version.

Here are instructions for accessing the SM.

Any one using these suggestions should know that I am passing on the wisdom of others and that I have no personal knowledge of the Samsung DLP TVs. I'm still waiting.

On the other hand I can recommend, without any reservations, recording all original SM settings before making changes.

****** Thanks to LCH for a clearer explanation than the one I wrote. 09/02/2003 ******

Turn Melody off in the user menu (allows entering the Service Menu from power On state without using a lamp cycle).

With the set ON, press Power-Mute-1-8-2-Power in quick succession.

(If the set is already off, just do Mute-1-8-2-Power )

The service menu should appear for the input you were viewing before keying the above sequence.

While in the service menu, you can change inputs with the TV/Video button to view the SM for other modes.

Use the CH up, CH down & select keys to navigate the Service Menu. Press MENU to return to the main Service Menu after viewing individual functions.

Later, you will use the VOL(+) & VOL(-) keys to change the SM values.

To Exit the SM, power off. Leave it off for several(30) seconds. (until all cooling activity is complete)

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMD
If my firmware is not the most current version, should I consider having it upgraded? And if I need to upgrade the firmware, what do I need to say to get it taken care of and covered under warranty?
Here is a link to the best introduction to the HLN sets that I have read.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...24#post2182824

You can't have it upgraded under warranty. There was a special one time upgrade for older sets that ended July 31. The parts were free but there was a $200 labor charge.

There are some warranty repairs that require replacing the same card that contains the firmware code. In that case you would get the latest firmware if Samsung continues using the latest firmware when they replace that card.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CMD
A couple of other questions: I have a Samsing HD tuner (don't know the model right now, but its their DirectTV HD tuner that also receives OTA HD signals, and has a DVI out) and I'm using OTA and the DVI out into my TV. When I set the output on the tuner to 720p, the picture is all messed up (only fills the middle third of the screen, and is bordered by strange digitized bars). When set to 1080i, the picture is stunning, but there is still about an inch on either side of the screen not being used. And, I can't change the aspect ratio while using DVI, so when viewing analog channels throught the tuner, they are stretched out to fill the screen. And lastly, which firmware versions offer discrete codes.
Firmware version 214 and later have discrete codes. If you have that version or later there is no reason to covet the later versions. They are still changing at a rapid clip but no one knows that the post 214 changer are significant.

Check your STB setup and see if the box knows it's output signal is going to a 16x9 TV and not to a 4x3 TV. You should get the best results form 720p output through DVI.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hinten1
The attached zip file in the referred thread is empty, what gives?
I just down loaded it and extracted a 314,368 byte word document. When you clicked on the link did you also click on "save"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
to CMD:

That inch on either side of the screen when using DVI goes away when you press the ASPECT button. It changes from PC setting (with the 1 inch border) to TV setting with no border. At least that was my experience with my HLN5065W.

...Brian

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdenley
to CMD:

That inch on either side of the screen when using DVI goes away when you press the ASPECT button. It changes from PC setting (with the 1 inch border) to TV setting with no border. At least that was my experience with my HLN5065W.

...Brian
Somewhere in the user menus there is a choice between PC wide and TV wide or something like that. TV wide is the correct choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.