Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I just bought a samsung hln4365w DLP set. It hasn't arived yet and i couldn't resist a trip to the local sears to look at the floor model some more and play with the settings. they pipe in some sort of loop with what looks like different video sources based on quality differences....

....anyway i noticed the set was on "wide" mode and the HDTV clips looked great and filled the whole screen. then from time to time what i suspect was SD came on and it had the black bars in the sides. i thought "wide" made it so that it was always wide and would stretch the SD to fit. i pressed "aspect" on the remote and it switched to "normal" mode and the SD picture got even smaller resulting in bigger black bars on the sides. if i kept pressing apsect it would only toggle between "wide" and "normal"......i thought this set had 5 modes or something, and how come i couldn't make the SD take up the whole screen?

ps: the tv looks wonderful, the remote is a cheap pos...

thanks.

-dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
What you were seeing is a 4x3 program broadcast in it's proper aspect ration in 16x9 HD. It's completely expected behavior.

And as far as the limitation on aspect modes, it depends on the input. In composite and S-Video you get all of the options. In DVI, you get only Wide. From what you're saying, I think you must be on one of the component inputs and there are limitations.

Besides, there's no harm in having the black bars on the side on a DLP system, so your best bet is to leave it alone and watch the 4x3 broadcast in its proper aspect ratio rather than stretching it out.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks steve.

it was on component 3 for sure, i checked.....then what about the fact that all HD is supposedly broadcast in 16x9? if this was a 4x3 program but was being broadcast in HD, i thought all HDTV is broadcast in 16x9? shouldn't it have filled the screen? also, do the HLN sets have a zoom mode?

my boss has the 50" dlp from samsung and before he had his HDTV box installed, we watched SD football and he was playing with various stretch modes (panorama and stretch i think).....i assume the 43" also has this.....he must have had it going through antenna at that point, whichever input that is, so i assume that is why he had the extra aspect choices? if i had to watch sports in SD i would want to stretch it to fill the screen. i don't like the black bars on the sides.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
In some wide screen material they add the black bars at the source so the TV thinks everything it is seeing come in is wide screen.

I don't have a Samsung but I think the aspect modes are:

Normal: for 4x3 material with black bars on each side -- no distortion added.

Wide: for HD or Anamorphic Enhanced for Widescreen DVDs. HD will fill the screen. If the aspect ratio of a DVD is greater than 1.85 : 1 there will be black bars top and bottom. The is no distortion of the image.

Zoom: for DVDs of Letterboxed older wide screen movies that are not Anamorphic. It enlarges the image in all four directions and stops when it reaches the sides of the screen. If the original image has an aspect ratio greater then 1.85 : 1 there will be black bars top and bottom. The is no distortion of the image.

Zoom 2(?): Enlarges the image the same amount in all four images until the top and bottom of the screen are reached. Some material is cut off the ends of the image. The is no distortion of the image.

Panarama: The image is stretched less in the center and more as it goes toward the edges. There is distortion that increases at the edges of the image.

The "black bar link at the bottom of my message has more information about this subject.

Good luck with your new set.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. just curious, is anything broadcast and shown in 1080i? that is listed as a possible resolution on the component 2 and 3 inputs on the tv i believe.....

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by macd23
thanks. just curious, is anything broadcast and shown in 1080i? that is listed as a possible resolution on the component 2 and 3 inputs on the tv i believe.....
Yes. CBS, NBC, and PBS are all 1080i HD.

With a Samsung you will get better PQ feeding it 720p through DVI if your STB has that capability. If you go through component you are forcing an unneeded conversion to analog and then back to digital. That will degrade PQ at least theoretically. Owners report better PQ with DVI.

Of course, then you have to work out some kind of solution about how to use the single DVI input on the Samsung. There are a variety of ways to handle it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by macd23
hi guys,

....anyway i noticed the set was on "wide" mode and the HDTV clips looked great and filled the whole screen. then from time to time what i suspect was SD came on and it had the black bars in the sides. i thought "wide" made it so that it was always wide and would stretch the SD to fit. i pressed "aspect" on the remote and it switched to "normal" mode and the SD picture got even smaller resulting in bigger black bars on the sides. if i kept pressing apsect it would only toggle between "wide" and "normal"......i thought this set had 5 modes or something, and how come i couldn't make the SD take up the whole screen?

thanks.

-dave
Some HD feeds will have analog material in it. For instance when watching an HD show like MNF, the commercials will shrink back to 16:9 even though you haven't changed the aspect ratio on the remote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.