AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Samsung HLM/HLN models have 2 component inputs. Input 1 supports 480i/480p, Input 2 480p/720p/1080i. Plugging an Xbox into Input 2 will prevent the display of the Dashboard, since it only displays in 480i. Using Input 1, you wouldn't see games in 720p/1080i mode. There seem to be some workarounds (modding, cable swapping, etc...), but here's another possible solution:

I have an AV reciever with 2 component inputs and 2 outputs (Yamaha 5590), and I THINK both outputs are active at all times. So, if I plug the Xbox into one component input, then connect one of the outs to Input 1 and another to Input 2 on the Sammy, I should then (again, in theory) be able to see the dashboard just by switching the TV's input, right? No cable swapping!

(The Sammy is on order, so I can't confirm this myself until it comes in because my current TV doesn't do Component.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Or you can get a Y spliter and split the green component wire and plug it into the the composit input and you should be able to see the Dash board in Black and White.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw the Y-splitter idea as well. I have a couple of issues with that one as well:

1) Ties up one video input for the black and white Dashboard (yeah, I know, it's just a composite)

2) If you use a good quality component cable, are you going to split it with a $2 Y from RS? (Does anyone make 'quality' Y splitters?)

Also, if my solution works and my info about the Sammy is correct, it also allows for a 'bonus': There are different stretch modes based on which of the inputs you use. By feeding both component inputs on the TV with whatever is selected on the AV reciever, you now have all the stretch modes available for any component input source selected on the reciever. It may not be a big deal, but I like to be flexible.

·
Registered
463 Posts
lmychajluk,

Let me assure you that your Yamaha HTR-5590 receiver does NOT have two component video outputs. If it does, then that is the ONLY HTR-5590 in the world to have that.

The unit features two buffered component video inputs with 30-Mhz bandwidth and one component video outputs.

As for seeing your games and dashboard and all resolutions from Xbox to Samsung DLP monitors, you can get a nice 'gold plated' splitter, but it does not maintain impedence. But since this is a video-game system (I NOT recommend playing CD's or DVD movies on any game system) you will probably not notice the difference.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh heh,

I posted this from work yesterday, and since I hadn't had any 'direct dealings' with my 5590's component out (no reason yet - still waiting on my Sammy HDTV), so I went by the specs on thier website when I started thinking how I would do this:
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...R00010HTR-5590

But I started thinking about it on the way home, and when I got home I checked, and lo and behold - only one component out! So I do stand corrected. Back to the drawing board for me... No offense, but I still don't like the Y idea - I'll probably end up just pulling the Xbox out and connecting it to the component or S-video input on the side of the unit with a seperate cable whenever I need to use the Dashboard. It'll be easier to pull the one plug out of the back of the Xbox than to get behind the TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.