AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying one of these 2 tvs. I am posting this on the plasma board and the projection board, so I get both opinions. I would like to hear feedback on both tvs.

It will be used as follows:

40% SDTV

40% Videogames

20% DVD

I will not be getting HDTV anytime soon (fuel for the Panny). But I am very afraid of burn in. I play a lot of games, and I know that they can easily burn in a plasma, and with DLP this is a non issue, so I am hesitant about the Panny because of this. Each tv has its own advantages, in my opinion, but I want to hear what you guys think.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Being somewhat biased (as I own one), I would definately choose the Panny. As for the HD quality on the panny, I have a 5uy (last years commercial panel), and the HD quality is stupendous....

Unless there's a MAJOR price difference (which I doubt if you shop around), that's where I'd go...

Rich

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think this is an easy choice - the Panny, because you're not viewing HD. I just ordered the Panny (6UY) after having been leaning toward the Sammy. Because my viewing habits include lots of SD, and because of my fear of buying the Sammy and then being in the minority of people who get headaches, see reflections and/or rainbows, and also because viewing angles on the Panny are better, I went with the Panny. I'm not an expert, but supposedly the "burn in" issue on plasmas isn't really an issue any more.

·
23,032 Posts
You have a tough choice. Plasma and games increases burn-in risk.

DLP and SD tv = crappier PQ compared to plasma (or anything else

except maybe LCD).

larry

·
Registered
333 Posts
The video game thing may be a problem for the plasma.

THe Samsung DLP has a replaceable bulp, so it is good as new every few years. Plasma will get dimmer over the years.

The Sammy 437 43" is being replaced by a 46" model.

So the 43" will be dirt cheap soon. Do get the 4365....that mode

doesn't have the Faroudja chip which makes the video much better.

The Samsung also has a ton of connectors.

You should consider the improved 46" models. 43" models had lots of bugs requiring in home service, hw updates, patches.

The plasma price is now comparible to the Samsung DLP.

Two things that make the plasma a better choice.

- Better viewing angles (off angle the DLP picture disappears like a RPTV)

- Brighter picture which superior PQ for all sources.

When you go HD you will want the plasma. You should reconsider your

resistance to HD. The only reason to get a plasma is to combine it with HDTV.

One idea is to get one of the cheaper 2002 Panny plasma's. Prices are drropping as the 2003 model are released this summer/fall.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The 43" is NOT being replaced by the 46". Where'd you hear that from? They added the 46" because people wanted it.

HD on the DLP is spectacular. SD is good to very good, but sometimes not good.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Viewing angles on the DLPs are better than the majority of RPTVs that I've seen recently. They certainly aren't up to those of directviews though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
VBS is correct, the 467 is NOT replacing the 437. The 467 (along with the 567) are specialty Tantus models available for purchase only from "high end" retailers. (although you will find them on the web). You will not however find the 467 or 567 in Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Also, Stealth is definately wrong in saying the 467 fixes ANY of the problems with the 437. The innards are pretty much identical across the entire hln line, down to the firmware. Almost all of the common sammy bugs reported in the rp forum continue to occur in the 467 and 567 models.

- pink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.