AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering that the 46" DLP is native 720p, is there any reason to set the cable box to 1080i or should I leave it at 720p. I'm not discerning much difference at this point.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The only reason you would leave it at 1080i is if you think the scaler/de-interlacer in your TV is better than the one in the cable box, and the content is in 1080i format (which most is).

I have the HLN467 and a SA3250HD cable box from TWC. I just leave it on 1080i for the reason I stated. Although, like scopur, I really can't tell any difference anyways.

Actually, I can't even tell a difference on ABC (broadcast in 720p). I thought for sure I would see an improvement on Monday Night Football if I set the cable box to 720p, figuring there would never be any scaling/interlacing/de-interlacing:

ABC (720p) ---> cable box (720p) ---> TV (720p)

As opposed to:

ABC (720p) ---> cable box (1080i) ---> TV (720p again)

But no difference I could perceive.

Either my eyes suck, my cable box sucks, my TV sucks, or....

Maybe TWC, for some reason, transmits all HD content in 1080i, regardless of the original format. Then it would be:

ABC (720p) ---> TWC (1080i) ---> cable box (720p) ---> TV (720p)

or

ABC (720p) ---> TWC (1080i) ---> cable box (1080i) ---> TV (720p)

This would explain no perceivable difference.

Hope it's OK to piggyback on your thread Taylormade2, but does anyone know if cable companies do this? Maybe there some reason related to efficiency or cost to just use one HD format?

Or does anyone know of a menu on the SA3250HD (secret or otherwise) that will make it display the received format?

Getting back to Taylormade2's question, some cable boxes (like the Pace 550) have a PASS mode where they just pass the content on in the format it was received. This would be best for people with good scalers/de-inerlacers in their TVs. Unfortunately for HLN owners like us, we do not have an input that will take all possible formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). The HLNs' HD component inputs won't take 480i.

Sooke

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sooke

Getting back to Taylormade2's question, some cable boxes (like the Pace 550) have a PASS mode where they just pass the content on in the format it was received. This would be best for people with good scalers/de-inerlacers in their TVs. Unfortunately for HLN owners like us, we do not have an input that will take all possible formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). The HLNs' HD component inputs won't take 480i.

Sooke
What I don't understand is that the Pass mode on the Pace 550 is supposed to automatically convert 480i to 480p and pass only 480p/720p/1080i but it doesn't seem like that function works. I'll have to email Pace and ask them about that.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Taylormade2
What I don't understand is that the Pass mode on the Pace 550 is supposed to automatically convert 480i to 480p and pass only 480p/720p/1080i but it doesn't seem like that function works. I'll have to email Pace and ask them about that.
I didn't know this. Cool if it works.

Sooke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.