AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else with a Samsung DLP started to experience an obnoxiously distracting "metallic" noise which I believe is coming from a fan which I guess cools the lamp? It can come and go but recently its been more consistent. After powering down, it does continue for another couple of seconds.

Could this have been caused by dust build-up behind the TV? I don't think I ever sent in the warranty card (stupid me, first major electronic purchase). How long is the Samsung warranty and can this be covered by it? I haven't ever opened the lamp cover to see what its like in there...is this something I can "dust out" myself?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ahsan,

What you are describing has often been referred to as "buzzsaw" sound or a "color wheel whine", and according to previous AVS threads, appears indicative of a problem with the color wheel. Here is a prior post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=356778. The warranty for the DLP's is one year, but when I purchased mine, I registered online, which gave an additional 3 months to the warranty.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks footdoc! Buzzsaw is exactly the word to describe it. I skimmed through the above links and most people identified the problem but I couldn't find whether or not it is still safe to watch the TV with this sound progressively getting worse while I wait for service to show up. Can any major damage occur while the color wheel makes this noise?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ahsan
Can any major damage occur while the color wheel makes this noise?
Ahsan,

I am not certain if there is a risk of damage - I have never seen a post that described damage occurring from use of the TV while it was producing the "buzzsaw noise." I suspect that there is a chance of further damage, and would try to get a service call/evaluation as soon as possible. Maybe a member with more knowledge/experience could provide a more accurate answer regarding "further damage."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.